STAFF EDIT: MBTA Consideration

The MBTA will begin construction today on the BU Central and BU East T stops to improve handicapped access on the new low-floor trains. During the six months of work, Boston University students may experience some disruptions in classrooms and dormitories surrounding the sites. However, it is important to remember the necessity of this work.

In order to comply with the Federal Americans with Disabilities Act, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority must raise the platforms for wheelchair accessibility. A number of the stops along the C line, as well as the Harvard Avenue and Washington Street stops, have undergone similar changes with impressive results. If the MBTA can restrict its work to its six-month promise, students should keep their gripes to a minimum.

The MBTA planned its work so the majority of construction would take place during the summer months while students are on break. It has promised to keep noise-making to a minimum during the last two months of school so as to prevent distracting classes in the nearby College of Arts and Sciences. It is considerate of the MBTA to make these pledges, and one can only hope it follows through on them.

While at work in the middle of the BU campus, the MBTA must keep Commonwealth Avenue dwellers in mind. Students will still attend class and attempt to sleep during the hours of construction. Additionally, there will be inevitable traffic problems when the MBTA blocks off the curbside parking spaces.

However, if the MBTA works to be considerate of the BU community, the BU community must reciprocate. This work is a requirement of the MBTA, and the Authority was nice enough to plan around the school year. Two months of noise should not be intolerable. The results of this work will ultimately benefit the most frequent users of those T stops: the BU community.

Both sides of this situation must work to respect each other during this inconvenient process. It is vital to remember the reasons behind the project and the benefits the construction will produce.