BU Miscellany: Henneke chosen for U.S. softball; women’s golf 5th at tourney

Boston University sophomore Julie Henneke was named on Friday to the United States Softball Women’s National Team Camp. The camp, which runs from Sept. 26 to 29, allows 52 of the best athletes in the country to train at the ARCO Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, Cal. A group of these players will then be selected to return for the 2002 United States National Camp in June 2003. Henneke was the only player from a New England college invited to the camp.

In her freshman season with BU, Henneke was an America East Conference All-First Team, All-Rookie Team and All-Championship Team selection. She was also named to the Northeast Region All-Second Team. Henneke batted .321 in her first year of collegiate ball, and was 9-5 with a 0.96 earned run average as a pitcher. She also struck out 111 batters in 97.2 innings.

The Terriers won their second straight conference title last season, going 28-23, earning a trip to the NCAA Tournament…

BU senior goalie Matt Smith earned America East Co-Player of the Week honors yesterday, based on his stellar goal-keeping against the then-No.7 ranked University of Connecticut. Smith made nine saves as the Terriers shocked the Huskies to the tune of a 1-0 upset on Sept. 17. He shares the honor with the University of Hartford’s Alon Lubezky.

Smith now leads the conference with a .875 save percentage and is second in the league with a 0.96 goals against average with 42 saves.

This marks the third week in a row that a BU men’s soccer player has won a weekly award from the conference. Previous winners include Andy Dorman for Player of the Week and Sedrick Chin for Rookie of the Week.

BU is now 4-1-1 on the season and ranked No. 9 in the most recent college soccer poll…

Freshman Brenna Gibson finished 14th and sophomore Leah Johnson came in 18th as the women’s golf team placed fifth this past weekend at the Bryant College Invitational.

Gibson fired an 85-88-173 to pace the Terriers, followed by Johnson’s two-day total of 175. Sophomore Nicole Shiffer and freshman Kara Vanek each shot 188, while sophomore Patricia Ehrler carded a 193.

BU’s team total of 720 was good for fifth place out of the 12 teams that finished. It was also just one stroke behind fourth place Monmouth College.

Florida Gulf Coast University won the tournament with a team score of 654, 41 shots ahead of Fairfield University.