Where’s “the funny” on the editorial page?

Hey, Free Press, what gives?

As I, with much trepidation, left Boston University last May, I looked forward to keeping up with my alma mater by reading the FreeP. Of special interest to me was the Editorial Page, because it has always provided a window on what’s going on at BU with an entertaining and often humorous perspective not found in the rest of the paper.

That was then.

This semester, it appears that a conscious editorial decision has been made to phase humor out of the Editorial Page altogether. What was once the domain of such comic talents as Casey Schreiner and Grant Myers has become a showcase for fairly straight-forward opinions on the news.

Don’t get me wrong. There certainly is a place for people to seriously state their opinions on current events, and the city page columns and unsolicited letters to the editor have served that purpose for years. The Editorial Page columns, however, have traditionally been as much a spotlight for great creative writing as for informed opinions.

I’m sure the editors had their reasons for eliminating “the funny” from the Editorial Page. I’m just writing to express my regret that such a well-loved tradition has gone the way of the dodo and non-insane BU presidents.