T to play calming music

Travelers at the Forrest Hills commuter rail station heard more than the bustle, commotion and chatter of other commuters as they stepped off the subway this week. In what the MBTA says is its latest attempt to deter youth crime and loitering at the station, Boston Pops style classical music is being blared from overhead speakers throughout the day.

“Forest Hills is in an area that harbors a number of different groups of people,” said MBTA spokesperson Lydia Rivera. “It has become an area for young people to hang out and congregate after school, and things can sometimes get out of hand. By having this type of soothing music, we hope to keep a positive atmosphere at the station.”

The music, which originated as an idea from MBTA Police Chief William Fleming, was put into effect two weeks ago at the Jamaica Plain terminal, located at the end of the Orange Line. Its purpose is to create a user-friendly atmosphere at the station, which has a history of crime trouble.

“We don’t want our public to fear certain stations,” Rivera said. “We are hoping the music will bring positive results from our entire ridership community.”

Stefani Hatton, a Brighton High School student who passes through the station daily, said she found the music irritating after a while. She attends one of the numerous high schools in the area whose students pass through the station on their way home.

“Personally, I think they should play all types of music if they’re going to play any music at all,” she said. “They could play hip-hop, R’B, reggae … music of all different people’s nature.”

For employees of the station, however, the music has proven extremely beneficial in discouraging the teenage socializing that impedes paths of other travelers. John Traynham, an MBTA bus driver for 24 years, said the effect of the Pops-style music has been great.

“All these damn kids be hanging around here and the music kills their ears,” Traynham said. “Would you wanna hear this music blasting all day? No, and neither do they. So they get out of here.”

John Allen, another bus driver, agreed. He said he thinks the music is the best thing that has ever happened to the station.

“I can finally walk by without having to say excuse me a thousand times,” Allen said.

MBTA officials said there haven’t been any major problems with violence since the music starting playing, and they plan to adopt the program at other stations if it continues to work.