Sorority rocks, chops and rolls for cancer center

All it took was a shot at the spotlight and a good cause to make students break blocks with their heads, sing in public and joke about drowning Friday at a benefit event in the George Sherman Union.
The Delta Delta Delta sorority, more commonly called Tri Delta, hosted Rock the Stage for Change talent show, in which student groups performed in front of at least 100 attendees to raise money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
‘My vision for Rock the Stage for Change was for it to be something campus-wide, something for everyone to participate in,’ Tri Delta Philanthropy Chairwoman Kim Taylo said. ‘There would be no cuts and no limitations on what anyone could do.’
Tri Delta aims to raise $10 million nationally within 10 years to support St. Jude’s, Taylo said. Rock the Stage for Change was ‘about awareness, not so much about profit,’ but show raised more than $1,000 for the hospital.
‘I can’t be more happy to be able to tell our St. Jude’s rep, ‘[Here’s] what we have for you. Look what we’ve done for you,” she said.
St. Jude’s is the only pediatric cancer research center that treats patients regardless of their ability to pay, St. Jude’s spokeswoman Shannon Carter said in an email.
‘Tri Delta is an amazing partner,’ she said. ‘Because of partners like them, St. Jude can continue its groundbreaking research and lifesaving care for kids battling cancer and other deadly diseases.’
Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore, Student Union President Matt Seidel and Student Activities Office Programs Coordinator Su Bartlett judged the 18 student acts. The winning act received 10 seats in the Dean’s suite for a BU versus Boston College hockey game this season. Tri Delta also raffled off balcony seats for an upcoming Boston Bruins game.
‘Here’s one more example of how our students are engaged with things that are happening outside of the university walls and into the community in general,’ Elmore said before the show.
Elmore said in terms of a winner, he was looking for ‘substance and soul, and a little creativity thrown in it.’
Rapper Steph, also known as College and Arts and Sciences junior Stephanie Domingo, won the grand prize as a last minute addition to the show.
‘I take the truth, and I own it,’ she told the audience.
The Massachusetts Collegiate Tae Kwon Do Association won the award for ‘Crowd Pleaser,’ after members broke wooden blocks with their bare heads and hands.
Planet Gonsofus, a rock band, won ‘Most Original’ with their songs, ‘Steal Your Mind’ and ‘Maelstrom.’
The show kicked off with the comedy group, Slow Children at Play, performing ‘Water Ghosts,’ a sketch about an overzealous lifeguard.
‘The ocean covers 90 percent of the world’s surface area, so that means there is a 90 percent chance of someone dying today,’ troupe President John Welsh said during his act.
In addition to comedy routines and dance teams, a cappella groups, step teams and musical bands competed in the show.
Bartlett said she was excited to see the performances.
‘I see all those students coming into the office all the time, so I was so excited to see what they actually put on,’ she said. ‘I’m glad to see all the enthusiasm that they have and all the talent.’