Letters to Editor, Opinion

LETTER: Economy article too panicked

I’d like to thank the Daily Free Press for its recent brief on the economy (‘Rush for Student Aid,’ Oct. 10).
Also on Oct. 10, the Baltimore Sun published a more positive article that reported the following statement from U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson. ‘Over the next few months, schools and lenders will be making decisions for the 2009-2010 school year. Using our newly extended authorities, the administration is moving aggressively to support the continued availability of funding for federal student loans in the next school year with the goal of restoring the government guaranteed student loan market to normal operations. We are working on an expedited basis and will make further announcements in the coming weeks.’
Let’s hope we can trust the feds with this one and write Congress if you don’t think we can.
Thank you for the article, which reported some important news, but do further research before you report something that might scare people. The economy is largely based on trust. Causing undue worry can help sink our economy further. Does anyone want that?

Seth Lubin
UNI ’07