Area universities still invest in sustainable development

Boston-area colleges continue to fund developing sustainable initiatives to make their campuses greener and more cost-effective, despite tightening budgets, rising utility costs and a shaky economy.
Boston University will not rein in its effort to improve sustainability despite President Robert Brown’s announcement earlier this month to halt all new construction projects and freeze hiring until the economy improves, BU spokesman Colin Riley said.
‘Whenever you are saving energy and therefore saving costs, it’s a prudent thing to do,’ he said.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology spokeswoman Jen Hirsch said the economy has not affected any of MIT’s construction plans.
‘MIT is continuing to follow through on its promise to enact policies with sustainability at the forefront,’ she said.
Neil Lespasio, Association of Physical Plant Administrators Southern New England chapter president, said sustainable campuses save money for universities.
APPA is an international program that provides information and resources concerning facility maintenance for colleges and universities
‘We are always looking for ways to be more efficient to reduce costs,’ he said. ‘I don’t think [sustainability] is going to take a back seat to anything anytime soon.’
Lespasio said he has recently noticed more college representatives attending APPA meetings and more interest in improving efficiency.
‘Sustainability is always a topic [at meetings],’ he said. ‘It’s a big hot-button issue these days.’
Lespasio, who is also Director of Facilities at Emerson College, said Emerson is working on a number of projects to improve efficiency in anticipation of rising utility costs in an unstable economy, he said.
‘We’re not happy because obviously it’s going to affect us,’ he said. ‘Some increase [in prices] is inevitable, but if you can stop it from being too crazy, then that’s a success.’
Emerson approved a project to build facilities certified by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design and another project to renovate a large colonial building to LEED standards, Lespasio said.
‘These buildings are going to take us into the future,’ he said.’
Colleges must especially make sure people are informed about sustainability and its environmental implications, he said.
‘[The students] in these schools are our professionals of the future,’ he said. ‘What better way to prepare for the future than to educate them now.’
Not all colleges have been able to weather the worsening economic conditions without some sacrifice, Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education Associate Director Julian Dautremont-Smith said.
‘I’m sure there are some schools that have new priorities when it comes to construction and sustainability,’ he said.
Despite these setbacks, colleges and universities should lead their communities when it comes to environmental efforts, he said.
‘They are in a unique position’ . . . to educate people about smart building and sustainability.’

1. You have got to be kidding me? BU is green. They wont even spend this little extra money to LEED certify any of their buildings. This makes them…lets see…..the only university in Boston who doesnt!!!!