Brains, beauty win out in pageant contest

Solar system simulations often earn scientists straight As and science fair accolades, but two College of Engineering students grabbed a novel Nobel substitute Saturday night: tiara, crown and pageant sash.
ENG junior Bryan Lublin and sophomore Bridget Bergin donned lab coats and explained solar and lunar cycles during a talent competition and snatched the top titles in the Mister and Miss BU Intercollegiate Pageant.
‘It’s kind of unreal,’ Lublin said of the honor. ‘My parents were like, ‘You’re going to put that on your resume, right?”
Bergin said she and Lublin had a lot of fun with the competition, and were thrilled to win.
‘We were really enthusiastic about everything we did,’ she said. ‘We loved dressing up everyday and going around campus trying to sport the pageant. We just had fun with it.’
‘It feels really cool to win because who would expect an engineer to win a pageant?’ she said.
The engineers beat out man-and-woman duos from each of BU’s undergraduate schools to claim the crowns. School officials pick pairs through an application or volunteer process.
College of Arts and Sciences competitors junior Dan Chizzoniti and freshman Margaret Gosewisch took second place, and School of Education junior Andrew Barlow and sophomore Emily Shapero placed third.
Comedian Rob O’Reilly, a 2006 graduate, saw contestants sashay through a group dance routine, before emceeing the interview, trivia and talent segments. Competition judges included Student Activities Office Director Mindy Stroh, Howard Thurman Center Assistant Director Raul Fernandez and BU Central Director Brandon Epstein, a former Daily Free Press columnist.
School pride shined during the talent portion, with the School of Hospitality Administration team inviting the audience to ‘be their guest’ in a Beauty and the Beast-themed lip-sync and dance routine. The SED duo cracked jokes in a sketch set to the song ‘Hot for Teacher,’ while the CAS team sang and danced to the High School Musical 2 song ‘Work This Out.’
Pairs promoted a charity during their interviews. The Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences team supported the Autism Speaks foundation, and the College of Communication team spoke about the Katie Bleck Scholarship Fund.

1. Exactly what I was going to post.

2. CFA sang and danced to High School Musical 2 and CAS danced to Call on Me