Seniors make their mark in home finale

In a Senior Day game with America East’s top spot up for grabs, the Boston University men’s soccer team’s Class of 2009 made its presence known Saturday in a 2-0 win over the University of Hartford at Nickerson Field.

After being accidentally left out of the pre-game ceremonies, senior midfielder Jon Jonsson decided to be recognized through his play, scoring the game-winner on his second goal of the season.

After dominating play for the majority of the first half, BU finally converted in the 39th minute when Jonsson scored on a pass from freshman midfielder Michael Bustamante. Jonsson saw it as his way of being acknowledged even though the announcers had forgotten him.

‘Because they didn’t remember calling my name, I decided to go out on the field and be remembered,’ Jonsson said.

‘I took the opportunity. I saw the lane and I saw Michael with the ball, and I was like, ‘Michael!’ and he heard me. Fortunately, he heard me. He passed the ball ‘-‘- amazing pass ‘-‘- and what am I to do? One touch. Finish it. That’s what I did. I had the ball, left foot, under the goalie ‘-‘- goal,’ he continued.

Jonsson then put his excitement aside to comment on his second career goal. Both scores have come this season and both were game-winners.

‘Seriously though, I never score goals, and it feels really good,’ Jonsson said.

After Jonsson’s goal, the Terrier defense took over, led by seniors Dan Schultz and Hrafn Davidsson.

BU captain Schultz shut down the top goal scorer in America East. Hartford’s Carlos Villa leads the conference with 11 goals, but he was held to two shots and only one on goal with Schultz marking him Saturday.

Schultz, the leader of the Terrier backline, has provided stellar defense in front of Davidsson en route to eight BU shutouts. Davidsson has six solo shutouts this season and has combined with junior Joe Cullaro for two others.

Hartford was held to eight shots in the game thanks to the Terrier backline. Davidsson stopped all three shots he faced.

‘The defense has been playing amazing. They made it easy for me,’ Davidsson said. ‘Sometimes you’re lucky and sometimes you’re not. The [shots] weren’t that hard to save. The most important part is keeping the ball so they don’t get a second shot.’

Senior forward Jin Oh has also been a force in the Terrier offense, controlling the midfield off the bench while recording one goal and one assist this season.

Other seniors honored during the pre-game ceremony were midfielder Andrew Bassi, who appeared in two games this season, and Petur Sigurdsson, who netted a team-best eight goals in 2006 before struggling through a series of career-ending injuries last season.