BU Republicans mourn result

America walked a long road to determine that Barack Obama would become the next president, but the Boston University College Republicans walked almost as far determine where to watch him do it.

BU Central held an election viewing party, but Obama supporters dominated the room, many of whom wore matching blue shirts with an ‘O’ in the middle of the Superman logo. Even worse, the election coverage was tuned to the liberal MSNBC. The Howard Thurman Center offered a similar scene, except with CNN.

‘I feel like it’s almost too liberal in here,’ BUCR Campaign Liaison Liz Simson, BUCR Campaign Liaison said, before walking out with the rest of the Republicans.

Thus began the hike from BU Central to the John Hancock Student Village, home to Simson and safe haven for conservative Fox News viewers.

Eleven BUCR members formed sat and stood in a circle around the TV in Simson’s third story apartment, hoping the states would unexpectedly turn as red as the maroon couch and table in the living room.

Soon afterward, at 9:15 p.m., the bad news broke. Ohio had gone blue.

‘I feel like a dagger’s been put in my heart and they’re just twisting it in,’ BUCR Vice President Joe Bravoco said, breaking the silence. ‘We’re sitting here waiting for these precincts to report.’

BUCR Treasurer Jay Quarantello said he did not think the precincts would affect the results as he sat behind two other viewers, barely able to see the television.

‘I’m disappointed, but I expected this to happen,’ he said. ‘Maybe I held out 10 percent for a miracle. It’s not going to happen, though.’

The night continued quietly, the silence broken up periodically by comments about the networks calling states too early, but no state results were reversed.

In defeat, Quarantello said he approved of Obama’s candidacy, if not his presidency.

‘He’s a great candidate for the Democrats,’ he said. ‘I didn’t see the Republicans produce anyone that motivated the people like him, and who knows if that will happen in the next four or eight years.’

The Obama campaign also deserves credit for skillfully tying McCain to the Bush administration’s unpopular record, he said.

BUCR president Jay Dulski, however, said he thinks the Bush administration is to blame for Obama’s election.

‘I think it’s a mistake,’ he said. ‘Most people don’t realize they were so blinded by their distaste for the Bush policies. I think they voted for change before they voted for substance.’

Dulski has not completely written off the Obama presidency though.

‘I’ll see what he does in 100 days,’ he said. ‘Obama says he’s going to govern from the center, but there’s nothing from the past that says he will.’

1. you conservative people…. so shortsighted and selfish. mccain is too hawkish for my taste but smart enough, but can you really say you supported palin and thought she would’ve done good job? please. wake up and smell the progress.

2. I voted for Obama

Way to paint BUCR as narrow-minded conservative politicos once again Freep…