W. hockey puts unbeaten streak on line

Coming off a two-week break from competition, the No. 7 Boston University women’s hockey team will look to continue its recent hot stretch and build off a program-record seven-game unbeaten streak on the road against Princeton University and Quinnipiac University tonight and tomorrow, respectively.

These two games will mark the first contests BU (5-2-3, 2-0-2 Hockey East) has played since downing Providence College in a shootout Nov. 1.

‘Some might see [a break] as good. Others see it as bad, but I like to look for the positive,’ BU coach Brian Durocher said. ‘It was nice to have a little rest, but now I think we’re tired of looking at each other. I think it will be fun to face another team again.’

Shortly before the breather in their schedule, the Terriers were playing perhaps the best hockey the young program has ever seen. In addition to the win over Providence, the current unbeaten streak includes wins against then-No.5 Mercyhurst College, then-No. 6 St. Lawrence University and two wins (one via shootout) against Hockey East foe the No. 5 University of New Hampshire.

Individually, sophomore forward Lauren Cherewyk scored all of her eight points in BU’s previous five games and senior goaltender Allyse Wilcox was named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month for October.

The streak has not only made a mark in the win/loss and statistical columns, but also in the rankings ‘-‘- both nationally and in conference. The Terriers’ No. 7 ranking is the highest in program history after the team cracked the national polls for the first time earlier this season. Additionally, BU stands atop the Hockey East standings with an immaculate record of 4-0-0 in conference play.

The weekend schedule kicks off tonight in New Jersey with Princeton, where the Tigers (2-4-0) have had a rough time in their young season. One reason could be the schedule, something that has not been in the Tigers’ favor thus far.

Princeton’s game against BU will be its fifth contest against a ranked opponent this year. From those previous four games, the Tigers are a lowly 1-3-0, with the lone win a 4-1 home victory over a then-No. 10 University of Connecticut team that has since dropped from the national rankings.

The Princeton offense is led by sophomore defenseman Sasha Serry, who leads the team in all three offensive categories (3 goals – 5 assists ‘-‘- 8 points). Freshman forward Danielle DiCesare is tied with Serry for the team lead in goals with three.

On the blue line, Serry is partnered with an equally strong player in senior defenseman Katherine Dineen.

‘Those two are borderline national players,’ Durocher said. ‘They’re the ones who get invited to all the national camps. We’ll have to keep a close eye on them.’

Senior netminder Kristen Young has gotten the start in all six games for the Tigers this year, posting a 3.30 goals-against-average and a .906 save percentage.

As for Quinnipiac, the Bobcats have had their fair share of misfortune as well, with a record of 2-9-1 in the early going. With a new coach in place (first-year boss Rick Seeley), the Bobcats have been forced to endure an early learning curve. However, Quinnipiac is currently riding a two-game unbeaten streak.

Junior forward Janine Duffy (4-5′-‘-9) and senior forward Elyse Cole (5-2’-‘-7) could provide some excitement in the offensive zone for Quinnipiac.

In the end, Durocher is preparing for these games like he would for any other.

‘We can’t look past anybody,’ Durocher said. ‘I know it’s early, but these are the games that determine NCAA at-large bids. We’ve got to take every one seriously.’