Seniors socialize at StuVi 2

College of Communication senior Sarah Steinberg said she was excited to attend her first-ever Boston University basketball game last Friday as the BU Marching Band led the Class of 2009 from the Student Village Phase II to the home opener against George Washington University.

The Senior Hard-Hat Party, held in StuVi 2 before the game, was the first senior event held marking the six-month countdown to the 2009 commencement. More than 600 students attended the party, making it one of the biggest turnouts for a senior event ever hosted by the university, Alumni Relations Associate Director Kirsten Lundeen said.

The Student Activities Office ordered about 500 white hard hats were ordered to serve as giveaways at the party, but the number of students who attended well exceeded the number of available hats, leaving some seniors without the souvenir hats.

Following the hardhat party, BU officials invited students to attend the BU men’s basketball game and the after party at Metcalf Hall in the George Sherman Union with rapper Coolio.

‘One of the important things we’re really trying to create is traditions and class unity,’ she said.

The party was the brainchild of Agganis Arena, SAO, Senior Gift Program, Student Alumni Council and Walsh Brothers, Incorporated, which oversees StuVi 2’s construction, Lundeen said.

As music blared from the lobby of StuVi 2, students signed and decorated each other’s hard hats with glitter and markers. The senior class gathered outside the StuVi 2 construction site to get a first look inside the residence hall, which has open to the public only one other time for Reunion Alumni Weekend.

‘I’ve seen a lot of people I haven’t seen since freshman year,’ College of Arts and Sciences senior Andrew Peckham said.

Some students said they had an emotional reaction to the party.

‘It’s one of those few moments in your college experience that you truly feel connected to the senior class,’ College of Communication senior Michael DiSalvo said.

CAS senior Rosemary Eger, who is also a School of Management senior, said she agreed.

‘It’s some sort of cohesiveness before we leave,’ she said.

The seniors said they were glad to see StuVi 2 will not be completed until after they graduate. The modern two-tower residence hall looks almost complete from the outside, but remains an empty concrete construction site on the inside with exposed wires and zones blocked off with yellow tape.

‘I just wish that we got a chance to live here,’ Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences senior Marissa Scher said. ‘This place is awesome.’