Terriers host Brown following 1-4 road swing

The Boston University women’s basketball team will look to rebound from a brutal five-game road trip that resulted in just one victory when they host Brown University at Case Gymnasium at 7 p.m.

The Bears’ (1-5) lone win this season was a 65-52 victory over the University of Maine. Their five losses include a 23-point drubbing at the hands of Providence College and a 41-point thrashing by Georgetown University. In their last contest, the Bears lost to West Virginia University, 66-49.

Brown has struggled to score so far this season, averaging 52.6 points per game. Sophomore Karly Grace is the only player who has averaged more than 10 ppg.

Freshman guard Hannah Passafuime was just named Ivy League Rookie of the Week. She ranks second on the team in scoring (8.2 ppg) and lit up WVU for 16 points off the bench.

BU (3-4) is coming off of an 84-72 loss to Central Michigan University in the Buckeye Classic. Senior co-captain Jesyka Burks-Wiley led the Terriers in scoring with 20 points, while fellow co-captain Christine Kinneary tallied 18 points in the losing effort and was named to the Classic’s all-tournament team.

Freshman Caroline Stewart and sophomore Kat Briggs have emerged as valuable assets coming off the bench for the Terriers. In the loss to CMU, Stewart and Briggs each saw 20 minutes of playing time.

‘We were very happy with the play of freshman Caroline Stewart,’ BU coach Kelly Greenberg said Monday night. ‘Kat Briggs got a lot of minutes in both games [at the Buckeye Classic] and we were very happy with her play. Our bench is helping us out a little bit, and I think we’re moving in the right direction.’

Junior Aly Hinton continues to build stamina and confidence after offseason knee surgery. She logged 22 minutes against CMU, netting eight points.

The Buckeye Classic was marred by large first-half deficits from which the Terriers were unable to recover. Greenberg has vowed to fix this trend, so establishing an early lead will almost certainly be on the Terriers’ minds tonight.

Last season against BU, Brown blew a 10-point lead at the half, losing 59-38 at home. The Terriers overcame the deficit with stifling defense and a momentous 21-4 run that gave them a 21-point cushion. Then-senior Kasey Devine led all scorers with 16 points and Hinton added 12 off the bench. The Terriers have won four straight against the Bears, and haven’t lost to them since 1998.’

BU leads the America East Conference in 3-point field goals (46) and free throw percentage (.761). Senior Kristi Dini leads the conference in 3-point makes per game (3.3) and Kinneary is tops in assists (5). Kinneary stands 62 assists shy of breaking the BU career assists record held by Debbie Miller, who graduated in 1981 with 477 helpers.’

The Terriers will defend a 14-game unbeaten streak at Case tonight that dates back to Feb. 10, 2007. They extended the streak last month by defeating Siena College, 84-61, in their home opener.