Burks-Wiley reaches 1,000, Terriers roll

It was a day of milestones and career highs Saturday at Case Gymnasium. Senior forward Jesyka Burks-Wiley matched a career high with 24 points and senior guard Amarachi Umez-Eronini recorded a career-high nine assists and six steals.

But the biggest story was Burks-Wiley becoming the 17th player in the 34-year history of Boston University women’s basketball to reach the 1,000-career-points landmark.

The Kansas City, Mo., native needed 17 points to join the 1,000-point club entering Saturday’s game against the University of New Hampshire.

At the half, Burks-Wiley found herself just three away after exploding for a game-high 14 first-half points. Just over two minutes into the second stanza, Umez-Eronini stole an inbound pass, drove into the lane and passed to a wide-open Burks-Wiley under the basket for an easy layup.

On BU’s next possession, Burks-Wiley found herself on the receiving end of another Umez-Eronini drive-and-dish. As soon as the ball went through the hoop, the crowd at The Roof erupted into a standing ovation.

‘Getting here, I really tried not to think about as much,’ Burks-Wiley said after the game. ‘I figured if I don’t think about it, it’ll just happen. The less I focused on it, the more special it felt. We weren’t forcing it. It wasn’t like this huge buildup or anything. It just happened.’