First GA meeting brings green to BU

The Student Union’s first General Assembly meeting of the semester may have had a green focus, but it was the Union’s own green that could have the most immediate impact on students.’

‘We have so much money that we really don’t know what to do with it,’ Union Treasurer Michael Wurth said.’

The Union’s current balance is $12,477.61, and it will increase when the group receives its semester allocation, which Wurth estimated could be around $1,000. Though Union leaders were unsure of the amount of money they have spent since the last GA meeting, because members were forced to pay out-of-pocket for some printing costs, Wurth said he does not anticipate the bill being more than $25.

In response to the Union’s abundance of funds, Wurth, a College of Arts and Sciences sophomore, submitted to the about 40 students present at the GA an initial proposal that would make it easier for student groups to receive money from Union.’

Currently, student groups soliciting financial assistance from the Union must go to a GA meeting, propose the amount of money they need and then come back to another GA meeting after the allocation is voted on.’

‘Who is going to wait two weeks to get $25?’ Wurth said after the meeting. ‘We need a way for student groups to get money quick.’

Union President Matt Seidel said as an advocacy group, the Union wants to be able to fund other advocacy groups’ fliers and advertising campaigns without much hassle.’

‘What it’s really about is groups need to get their message out there, and it doesn’t cost that much, but because of different policies they might not be able to get even a small amount of money,’ Seidel, a CAS junior, said.

Wurth’s proposal, which will be finalized and voted on at the next GA meeting, plans to cut the waiting time for student groups receiving funds down from a few weeks to a few days.

The Union also had individual students’ money in mind at last night’s meeting held in CAS room 222. Residence Life Chairwoman Meredith Reid announced that she plans to address problems associated with the growing costs of BU’s dining plans.’

‘If what everyone is saying is correct, then my dining plan freshman year bought way more food then than it would now, theoretically,’ Reid said following the meeting.

Reid, a CAS senior, said the committee will be looking through five years of data to prove that students are in fact spending more on dining plans without receiving more food. Once the research is complete, they will present a report to BU administrators with the hopes of eventually amending dining plans in students’ favor.’ ‘

As anticipated, the Union followed through with its ‘themed GA’ plan last night, but little about the meeting’s operation differed.

‘Nothing about the structure changed,’ Seidel said. ‘It simply made this meeting more sharply defined. Having the initial spotlight got people’s attention and helped keep them focused.’

During her spotlight presentation, Environmental Affairs Director Hannah Leone discussed the need to educate students about what they can do to be green. Leone, a CAS junior, will be meeting with residence hall associations and college governments to ensure this happens.’

Leone and other environmental groups on campus will also be meeting with administrators in February to discuss steps BU can take to be green, such as adding additional recycling locations.’