Green jobs the new frontier, profs. say

Students worried about getting green in this economy should consider going ‘green,’ Boston University professors and advisors said, and a sustainability minor may soon be available for students who wish to specialize.

Green opportunities at BU, in the form of the new minor, may increase as soon as the next year, Student Union members said. The minor would have an interdisciplinary focus, concentrating on how environmental issues affect diverse fields from engineering to business.

The Academic Affairs Committee came up with the idea in December, committee Chairman James Sappenfield said. Sappenfield said he hopes to have a completed proposal done by the end of February and have the minor available in a year.

‘If there’s enough pressure on the administration, it could happen,’ he said. ‘It’s something that’s on our top five projects because it’s feasible.’

Sappenfield, a College of Arts and Sciences junior, said the Union first needs to consult with BU Center for Energy and Environmental Studies Director Robert Kaufmann to discuss his ideas for the minor and what requirements and prerequisites students would need to complete the program.

Offering a minor in sustainability would make BU relatively unique, as only a few universities currently offer a minor or major on sustainability, Kaufmann, a geography and environment professor, said.

‘The education that this minor would provide would give BU students a ‘leg up’ in the job market, Kaufmann said.’

Such a minor would provide a detailed background about sustainability and environmental issues to students not necessarily majoring in an environmental field, Environmental Affairs Director Hannah Leone said.

‘Just the word triggers some positive attitudes,’ Leone, the Environmental Student Organization’s Vice President, said. ‘We want BU to not only be sustainable but to teach sustainability to its students.’

Environmental issues such as global warming have gained prominence in recent years, and President Barack Obama has made environmental issues a priority in his administration. As the economy dips further into recession and unemployment over seven percent, Obama has pledged to spur the economy in part by creating and supporting more ‘green’ jobs, or jobs with an environmental focus, with his economic stimulus plan, according to the Associated Press.

‘Clearly the emphasis of the new Obama administration is where the new job opportunities will be,’ BU geography and environment professor Cutler Cleveland said.

BU students interested in environmental jobs have significantly increased over the past eight years, Office of Career Services Assistant Director Deborah Halliday said. She said she expects jobs dealing with the environment and sustainability will become more important in the future.

‘All jobs will [eventually] shift and migrate into green jobs,’ Halliday said.

BU Office of Career Services Director Richard Leger said he has not seen a noticeable growth in the amount of green jobs available, but he would recommend green jobs to students with an interest in the environment.

‘To be honest, I think it will grow,’ Leger said. ‘There is a growing interest, starting in Washington and moving onward.’

1. they should offer courses in sustainable business for smg students too