Sports

MEYER: Consistency pays off

In the world of sports, change is inevitable. Players and personnel come and go, teams move from city to city, and even stadium names change on a pretty routine basis. But hardly anything is more subject to change than the coaching profession and the delicate balance that exists between a head coach and the powers that be of a team or program.

We’ve all seen coaches go against their professed loyalties to a team and a city by bolting for the next available gig, and on the same hand, we see owners and athletic directors fire coaches after they publically commit to having the coach’s back. Hell, some coaches even get canned for interviewing for another job, even if the new gig would be widely regarded as a huge step forward in the coach’s career (yes, BC, I’m talking about you).’

With the current landscape in athletics, you kind of have to wonder how a team or program can have prolonged success and stay relevant. But alas, it has been found in two very, very different places.

After their thrilling 27-23 win over the Arizona Cardinals in last Sunday’s Super Bowl, the Pittsburgh Steelers claimed their second Lombardi Trophy in the past five years. By no means am I a Steelers fan, but I have always respected the fact that they have a tendency to be near the top of the NFL in both the standings and in revenue year in and year out.

Many people like to call the Steelers a ‘model organization,’ and in every sense of the phrase, they really seem to be just that.’

How did they get to that point though? The answer is consistency.

First and foremost, the success of any professional sports franchise begins with ownership. Pittsburgh is run by the Rooney family, which has owned the Steelers since their inception in 1933.’

Perhaps more importantly than anything, the Rooneys have had great success in hiring and dealing with coaches. Over the past 40 years, Pittsburgh has had three head coaches ‘- Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin (not to be confused with House M.D.’s Omar Epps) ‘- and each of them has at least one Super Bowl ring. To put that into perspective, over that same period of time, the Lions have gone through 14 coaches.’

So what do you get when you combine steadfast, patient ownership with proven coaches who can draft well and actually have friendly, workable relationships with their boss? You get six Super Bowl wins, the most of any NFL franchise to date.

Away from the bright lights and glamour of the NFL is another place where consistency has paved the way to success. That place is right here at BU. For the past three decades, Terrier athletics have been the class of the America East conference and even the ‘uuml;ber-competitive Hockey East, collecting hardware all along the way.

Sure, a number of outstanding athletes have lit up Comm. Ave. over the years, but the key ingredient to BU’s sustained excellence has been the success of the school and athletic administration in hiring and, more importantly, keeping top quality coaches.

Of course, the first name that comes to mind is Jack Parker. He is currently in his 36th season as the Terriers’ head coach, and in those years he has compiled 801 victories and 28 ‘- hopefully 29 come this time next week ‘- Beanpot titles. Oh yeah, and let’s not forget about those two national championships to boot.

The man is a living legend and an almost larger-than-life figure here on campus. Parker is obviously the most sterling example of a long-tenured coach who has received his fair share of accolades while at BU, but when looking at other Terrier coaches, the list hardly ends there.

Men’s basketball coach Dennis Wolff is in his 15th season and has the most wins by a basketball coach in BU history, a pretty nice accomplishment considering he’s at a school that has seen the likes of Rick Pitino and Mike Jarvis.

Men’s soccer coach Neil Roberts has been here 24 years and has led his teams to 12 NCAA Tournament appearances.’

Bruce Lehane, the men’s cross country coach, has collected two Division I national championships in his 27 years at BU.’

Women’s soccer coach Nancy Feldman, who has coached the Terriers since their varsity inception 14 years ago, has led BU to America East crowns in six of the last nine seasons.

Women’s tennis, under the guidance of 24-year coach Leslie Sheehan, hasn’t lost the America East championship since O.J.’s slow-speed chase.’

In the midst of ‘coaching carousels’ and the unstable relationships that exist between coaches and their respective owners/athletic directors, it is refreshing to see how things thrive for both the Steelers and BU. The remarkable consistency that both of these organizations have shown over the past 40 years should serve as an example to all those who want to build successful athletic dynasties.’

Being patient and putting the right people in charge sure can go a long way.