STAFF EDIT: New directions for the BUS

Boston University students know that it doesn’t just take a lot of hard work to be a successful student, it also takes a lot of walking. Fortunately, for most students, there’s more than one way to ride to their next classroom or other campus destination. But for the 282 students living in Danielsen Hall, the failure of the BU Shuttle Service to bring them back to their residence in a reasonable amount of time has put them at a significant disadvantage when it comes to getting around campus.

When students are deciding where they want to live on campus next year, they may think twice before putting Danielsen at the top of their list because of the inadequate busing situation. It’s a shame that this would cause students to not give Danielsen a chance because living there is a unique experience. Unlike other dormitories, Danielsen has the advantage of being close to Newbury Street, the Prudential Center and other points of interest in Boston. Students are going to miss out on getting a taste of real city living if they are scared away from Danielsen by the long BUS ride, or lack of ride altogether.

The motivation to attend that 8 a.m. lecture just isn’t there when Danielsen residents dread having to trudge back through slushy sidewalks or sit on the BUS for nearly an hour just to return to their dorm. Residents could make their way to the nearest T stop on particularly dreary days, but doing this day in and day out could get costly for cash-strapped students.

Every other student living on campus has the opportunity to take a quick BUS ride back home, so why should those living in Danielsen be treated any differently? Danielsen residents pay the same fees as everyone else; they should not be denied the same quality of service everyone else receives.

Already, Danielsen residents are a long walk away from the majority of BU classrooms, dining halls, the Fitness and Recreation Center and the George Sherman Union. BU should be making it easier for those living on the far side of campus to feel like they are a part of the university community. Neglecting the transportation needs of Danielsen residents only splinters the campus further, and is in conflict with BU President Robert Brown’s ‘One BU’ initiative.

There are still several more weeks of harsh weather and long, cold walks ahead for Danielsen residents. For BU to continue to provide free transportation for most students while ignoring Danielsen residents isn’t just inconvenient ‘- it’s unfair.

1. It’s like a 10 minute walk from the nearest shuttle stop, suck it up. If the sidewalks are slushy, wear boots. If you don’t like walking, pick a different dorm; personally, I’d prefer being nearer to the Prudential Center, it would make my walks into town a little shorter.