Sports, Wrestling

Wrestling goes 1-2 in first home meets since Nov.

This past weekend’s home meet gave members of the Boston University wrestling team a chance to catch their breath and sleep in their own undersized dorm-room beds, as the team hosted just its second home dual meet of the season.

Looking to build on the momentum from winning two out of their last three meets, the Terriers (6-7-1) won convincingly over Sacred Heart University, 27-10, in their first match of the meet. But successive close losses to Brown University and East Stroudsburg University put a damper on the Terriers’ return to Case Gymnasium.

Against Sacred Heart, seven of BU’s 10 competing wrestlers scored victories. 184-pound freshman Hunter Meys and 174-pound junior C.J. Inglin made quick work of their competition, each pinning their opponents in a matter of minutes. Meys finished off Sacred Heart’s redshirt sophomore Brandon Lapp in a mere 1:45.’

BU put itself in a hole early on in the second meet against Brown, losing three of the first four matches. But the Terriers rallied to narrow the lead with one match to go. Their fate lay in the hands of Meys, the morning’s hero.

Meys needed a pin or a fall in the final match for the Terriers to tally more than 17 total points and surmount the Bears. No less would do. A mere victory would only guarantee a loss.

285-pound Jim Connors found himself in the same situation nearly a month ago against Hofstra University. On Jan. 17, Connors wrestled tenaciously in the final match of the meet, pinning Hofstra’s Mike Peterson with seconds to go in the second period to salvage a tie for BU.

Meys did not manage to mimic his teammate’s act, though. He jumped out to a huge lead on Brown’s Bran Crudden, but could not make him break.

Meys won, 8-1. But devoid of a pin, or even a fall, his attempt at a symmetrical scrum failed and BU lost the match, 17-15.’

Although Meys and Inglin attracted the limelight, 197-pound sophomore John Hall and 149-pound senior Mike Roberts put in a yeoman’s work, humbly handling each opponent they faced.

Sunday against East Stroudsburg, Meys beat redshirt sophomore Jeff Jacobs, 10-3, and Hall beat sophomore Shane Mallory, 3-2, making each man undefeated for the weekend.

141-pound junior Abbie Rush scored the most impressive win of the day, taking care of Matthew Rizzo, 13-7. But these triumphs weren’t enough to prevent another loss for the Terriers.