After Jan. fire, Fenway restaurant owners say they plan to rebuild

Fenway restaurant owners affected by a January fire that destroyed six Peterborough Street restaurants and one dry cleaning business said Monday they want their businesses restored in their original locations as soon as possible.

More than 50 local business owners, residents and government officials gathered at Church, a club/restaurant on Kilmarnock Street, on Monday evening to discuss the progress of rebuilding the row of restaurants. Thornton’s Fenway Grille, Greek Isles, Rod Dee Thai, El Pelon Taqueria, Umi and Sorento’s Italian Gourmet were destroyed on Jan. 6 in an early morning fire that was caused by an electrical short circuit in the ceiling of Thorton’s Fenway Grille. The fire caused an estimated $5 million in damages.’ ‘ ‘

Owners said they hoped the rebuilding process would be quick.

‘When I talked to my staff, I was surprised at how much they missed their jobs and customers,’ El Pelon Taqueria owner Jim Hoben said. ‘I am trying to update the website to inform people about the progress. I want the restaurant back to the way it was and open it as fast as I can.’

However, Fenway Community Development Corporation board member Steve Wolf said it may take a year and a half, far after the opening of the profitable baseball season in 2010, before businesses are up and running again.

‘You heard people saying they want it to happen right away, but I think they were unrealistic, regarding how the insurance company hasn’t decided how much they are willing to pay the owner,’ Wolf said. ‘But maybe things will move faster. Everyone is motivated.’

Attendees were encouraged to join the Fenway Restaurant Restoration Google group in order to receive updates on any progress. Wolf stressed how important the restaurants are to the neighborhood.

‘Many people told us that the restaurants were like their living rooms and that they wish the restaurants would be back,’ he said.

The owners of the affected businesses agreed that they want to remain in the neighborhood and have their restaurants restored to their original state.

Monty Gold, the owner of the buildings involved in the fire, assured those in attendance that he does not intend to sell the buildings or lease them to any franchise restaurants.

‘I do not want chain restaurants coming in to the block,’ he said.

Fenway resident Jonscott Westfall MacWilliams said because he moved to the Fenway neighborhood the day of the fire, he never had a chance to take advantage of the restaurants as a Fenway resident.

‘I moved over to see the restaurants,’ MacWilliams said. ‘I just loved how the street was full with a diversity of food.’

City Council President Mike Ross (Back Bay, Fenway, Kenmore) said he supports the reconstruction efforts.

‘There is an opportunity to make the place better, but I understand the worries of the business going somewhere else,’ Ross said.

‘It is about small shops and businesses that have made a difference in community,’ he said.

1. Thanks — informative and very well written! –Long time Audubon Circle resident