STAFF EDIT: Back to the streets

In January 2008, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick pledged to end homelessness, but now it appears he is only going to make it more prevalent. His proposed regulations for homeless shelters, scheduled to take effect April 1, will make it unnecessarily difficult for the homeless to stay in shelters. Lt. Gov. Timothy Murray claimed in a January 2009 press release that these changes will give homeless families and individuals ‘what they really need ‘-‘- a permanent place of their own to call home,’ but instead they are doing just the opposite.

Some elements of Patrick’s proposal are simply unfair. One provision would kick entire families out of a state shelter if any family member had an outstanding arrest warrant. Punishing the whole family for the actions of one is unfair, and doesn’t make sense. Equally nonsensical is the proposed rule that families with an only child between the ages of 18 and 21 will no longer be able to stay in shelters. Having of a child of a certain age doesn’t mean one or two parents are suddenly able to support themselves. Shelters may be overcrowded, but these rules show no compassion whatsoever for the plight of the homeless in Boston.

It also is absurd to think that homeless families are going to find housing in Boston that they can afford in only three months just because their income rises to 30 percent more than the federal poverty line. Many college students can hardly afford an apartment themselves. How does Patrick expect homeless individuals who have to support multiple children to be any more successful? If the homeless could go out and buy a home in Boston tomorrow, they would, but this is simply not realistic.

The sad reality is that it’s easy to break promises to the homeless. Politicians have done this time and time again, and the homeless alone cannot stand up to them. In Massachusetts, the homeless can register to vote, but a mailing address is required. Giving the address of a homeless shelter is acceptable, but if many homeless people are being kicked out of shelters, then they won’t have a voice, or a vote, against Patrick’s policies. As Boston University students, we are a part of this city and need to show Patrick that he can’t turn his back on those living on the streets of Boston.