Emmanuel student dies

Emmanuel College sophomore Gabrielle King, 20, was found unconscious in Brighton early Tuesday morning and was later pronounced dead.

Officers arrived at 11 Cummings Road at around 6:30 a.m. because a passerby reported an unconscious woman on the ground, according to the Boston Police Department’s news blog. She was transported to Saint Elizabeth’s Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.

‘Gabby, who attended Masconomet High School, was known as a great friend and a hard-working student,’ an email sent to the Emmanuel community said.

Holly Maloney, currently a sophomore at Framingham State University, said she met King on the cheerleading squad their freshman year at Emmanuel, and the two were friends.

‘She was always so full of life, so happy and concerned about others,’ Maloney said.’ ‘She would always brighten your day no matter what was going on.’

King studied psychology and Spanish, volunteered at Catholic Charities of Boston and planned to study abroad the spring term of her junior year, according to the e-mail.

‘ ‘Our hearts and prayers go out to Gabrielle’s friends and family,’ Emmanuel College President Sister Janet Eisner said in the email. She will be deeply missed.’

Members of the Emmanuel community gathered in the campus chapel to remember King at a prayer service Tuesday, and the school’s chaplain visited her family at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital.

‘She always lived life to the fullest, and it’s very sad to see someone so young to be taken away,’ Maloney said.

Officer James Kenneally, spokesperson for the BPD, refused to comment because the family has not yet publicly released their daughter’s name, but referred The Daily Free Press to the BPD’s blog, which states that the investigation is ongoing.