Opinion

Excessive security at Agganis will not be missed

The students have returned from break and the third weekend of March is almost upon us. For hockey fans, that means excitement and anticipation. The best part of the season is approaching, and the major trophies are about to be put on the line, but for Boston University students it is more than just the general playoff excitement. The enthusiasm is also because the home schedule at Agganis Arena has concluded. Don’t get me wrong – it is a fantastic building; however, as fans, it is a relief to know we will not have to deal with Agganis Arena security again until October.

While at this beautiful stadium, college students are under constant surveillance by the blue-and-black-shirted RSIG employees who patrol the student sections. Now, for those who don’t know, here is a brief history of the student conduct policy at games: In the last game of 2006, BU faced archrival Boston College with the winner advancing to the Frozen Four. BC dominated this matchup, and as the game was winding down, the end of BU’s season was imminent. Many BU fans lost their composure and started a chant that was primarily composed of obscenities. Unfortunately, the ESPN television crew had placed a microphone in the BU student section, and this chant was broadcast around the nation.

The BU administration, rightfully embarrassed, enacted a new no-swearing policy for fans that summer, which is still in effect now. I have absolutely no complaint about this policy; in fact, I very much agree with and support it. At a sporting event, vulgarity is the worst method of communication, and we can all articulate our true feelings without using any of the three words that were banned.

However, the ever-expanding presence of security in Agganis Arena is not something I am able to support. When the original swearing policy was established, it was done with numerous meetings involving students, thus insuring everyone was clear on the new policy. Since those meetings took place in September 2006, much has been changed about the policies we are expected to abide by as students at Agganis Arena, and none of us, including a few stadium employees, have been informed of these changes.

Selective enforcement is inherently arbitrary; however, the method Agganis security employs takes this to another level. The explanations they give for admonishing students rarely shed any light on their decision-making process. For instance, two students this year received warnings and were told, ‘Everyone in your row was swearing; we just chose to punish you two.’ It is completely false that all of the approximately 20 students in that row were swearing and also impossible for these two employees to identify that without doubt in a split second. Explanations like this show that security guards either blatantly lie to students or are able to convince themselves that, despite a lack of coherent facts, their judgment is infallible. Neither of these traits is positive for security personnel.

The swearing policy, as Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore described it, was intended to discontinue the use of three specific words from ruining the family environment that the administration wanted to create to help fill the seats of Agganis Arena. I am not going to take the approach that states, ‘College sports are for college students; if you want a family environment, go see ‘Sesame Street Live.” I went to these games as a child, and I have young family members who come to games now. I want my school to appear as a reputable institution of higher learning. However, what these men are looking for are merely reasons to eject students. They have two security guards stationed at the bottom of each student section just reading lips trying to catch someone violating the swear policy. In my opinion, they are not looking to improve the environment for families; they are looking to beat the student body into submission.

The lack of obscenities is not a result of successful security. Instead, it is the result of a mature fan base. I have been to away games at eight different rinks this season with groups of many BU students, and two things have been true for all of these games: we have not been surrounded by overbearing security and we have not chanted obscenities.

I think it is time to rein in the dogs. Leave the swearing policy in place and trust that we have learned our lesson. College is about teaching young adults new knowledge they will retain and act on. This is not high school where the administration tries to monitor you at all times. We no longer have hall monitors or strict attendance policies. We go to class because we know what is best for us and what is right to do. Let us show you that we also know how to act at sporting events. I recommend keeping a single security guard at the top of each section and having him remain there until a situation necessitates movement, like the ushers at all the other sections. Just as BU has suspended all nonessential construction, they should also suspend all nonessential security staff. Surely having nine RSIG personnel in one-half of the student section is not essential or beneficial to anyone besides those who negotiate contracts for RISG.

1. I completely agree with this article. I believe Agganis security is overly tight to almost abusive in every measure of their doings. I think something needs to be done about the security guards and how they handle and treat students.

2. I agree with this, but come on, administration will be way too stubborn to change. Quit wasting your time and focus on something that might improve