HCA says an early aloha to summer at FitRec

Despite the first few days of spring being almost indecipherable from winter, students said they thought about warmer weather as they lounged in the Fitness and Recreation Center recreational pool at the Hawaii Cultural Associations’ ‘Paradise at the Pool.’

About 25 attendees paid $10 to swim, relax in the lazy river and play water basketball Sunday. HCA President Cory Nicely said the money would go toward funding the club’s annual luau.

‘This year, we decided to become more active and host an event to fundraise money for our big event,’ Nicely said. ‘We felt that hosting an event at the FitRec recreational pool would be an appropriate setting for our ‘outdoors-y’ and ‘beach-y’ theme, especially since many people do not know that it is open for public use.’

Some attendees said it was their first time in the recreational pool.

‘I am usually in the competition pool, but it is a nice change to relax in the recreational one,’ College Arts and Sciences sophomore Jenna Kiridly said.

College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Zak Gersten said the pool party was a welcome escape from the chilly March air.

‘It’s nice being in the recreational pool, especially because it is heated,’ Gersten said. ‘It is perfect against this cold weather.’

College of Communication freshman Alia Wong said she had never been to the pool either, but enjoyed the chance to play a few games.

‘This event looks like a lot of fun because there are so many cool toys and sports like water basketball and volleyball,’ she said.

Nicely said she was not disappointed that the event did not attract many people outside the HCA.

‘We do not expect a very strong showing today because this is a small event leading up to our main event, the luau,’ Nicely said.

The weather may have prevented people from venturing outdoors even if to escape the weather in a pool, Kiridly said.

‘There is probably less people attending the event today because of the rain,’ Kiridly said. ‘I was aware of this event because my friends in the Hawaii Cultural Association invited me.’