Labor unions to save economy, SEIU president says

Labor unions will have an integral role in pulling the country out of its economic slump, Service Employees International Union President Andy Stern told about 70 students and labor activists at Harvard’s John F. Kennedy Law Auditorium Thursday.

‘I understand that people wonder about union ideology,’ Stern said. ‘The punch line is this: they work. As a distributive force in this economy, they work. If there are any other ways to [solve the economic crisis], I dare someone to step forward.’

There are three ways to distribute wealth equally, Stern said. The first two, increasing worker productivity to increase salaries and using government intervention to equalize worker benefits, are unreliable, Stern said. The third and most reliable way is unions.’

‘During the years 1935 to 1945, the Great Depression was followed by a post war boom,’ he said. ‘Combined with a tripling of union members, the standard for workers doubled in one decade. That was good work.’

Stern said President Barack Obama is an advocate for workers’ rights and an asset for positive union changes.

‘Obama knows we need shared prosperity, not just growth,’ Stern said.

Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers member Joshua Koritz said he hoped Stern’s speech might deter Harvard officials from instituting layoffs. The school offered workers who are at least 55 years old an early retirement package, Koritz said.

‘Harvard is claiming poverty and saying they need to lay people off and ‘tighten up,” Koritz said. ‘But Harvard has billions of dollars in its endowment fund. They’ve tried to cut back on spending for no reason before. They’re just using the recession as an excuse now.’

Student Labor Action Movement member Johnny Bowman said Harvard should tap into its endowment before cutting worker’s wages and hours.

‘People consider the endowment as a safeguard,’ Bowman said. ‘But what’s the point if when you’re in trouble you don’t use it to benefit those who need it the most?’

SLAM member Abby Brown said Stern’s work was important.

‘I’m glad to see that people are finally able to add their voice,’ Brown said. ‘The fact that Stern makes people most important is gratifying to hear.’

Stern said he continues his work on behalf of workers every day because of his belief in the American dream.

The greatest gift is that people come here from all over the world, like my grandfather did as a butcher in New Jersey,’ Stern said. ‘They dreamed that their children and grandchildren would lead a better life than they did. That is the unique and wonderful American dream. As Obama’s election proves, a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.’