Service remembers BU senior

Friends and family members of Boston University student Victoria ‘Tori’ Rubino came together at Marsh Chapel Monday evening to celebrate and remember the life of the College of Communication senior.

The memorial service for Rubino, who passed away in her sleep from unknown causes March 8 in her New Jersey home, began with a prayer by the Rev. Paul Helfrich, BU’s Catholic chaplain, who spoke on behalf of the Marsh Chapel staff. After a reading from the Book of Wisdom, the ceremony turned to remembrances delivered by her family members and some of her closest friends at BU.

College of Arts and Sciences senior Julie Potts was the first to speak about Rubino, calling her ‘selfless, loving, caring . . . simply hilarious.’ She spoke of Rubino’s willingness to stay up late proofreading her friends’ papers, her skill as a writer and her ability to come up with clever one-liners.’

‘If I had known it was the last time I’d see you, I’d keep hugging you forever,’ Potts said, reflecting on her last encounter with Rubino.

CAS senior Katrina Weed discussed some of her fondest memories of Rubino. Many laughed as Weed talked about Rubino’s quirky personality, describing her unabashed love for the Jonas Brothers, her determination to maintain flawlessly straightened hair and her propensity for singing and dancing around just for fun.

‘Tori lit up every room she was in,’ Weed said. ‘[She had] the strongest sense of self, always so confident in everything she did.’

Carolyn Kirkup, a Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences senior, spoke on behalf of the friends Rubino made during a semester in Sydney, Australia. She said Rubino had an ‘addicting personality’ and ‘kept a positive attitude about everything,’ a sentiment echoed by every speaker.

Before a performance of an Irish blessing, Amy Gromek, a COM senior and Rubino’s former roommate, shared her own memories of her friendship with Rubino, who she said was both modest and confident.’ She urged the mourners to take the qualities they remembered of Rubino and carry them wherever they go.

‘I can still hear her laugh in my head,’ Gromek, a former Daily Free Press reporter, said. ‘[She was] one of the most selfless, caring and loyal people.’

Members of Rubino’s family delivered the final three remembrances. Her father, Richard Rubino, thanked attendees for their love and support. He referenced a poem called ‘Dash,’ saying that what was important was not date of birth or death but what was in between: ‘the dash.’

Rubino’s sister, Allie, and mother, Mary, read letters they wrote to Rubino, saying how irreplaceable they both found her and how fondly they will always think of her. Rubino’s friends had already mentioned her close relationship to her sister, and Allie said they had an inseparable bond, calling them twins born two years apart.

‘Thank you for making me who I am,’ Allie said.

Rubino’s mother stood beside Allie and delivered the final remembrance of the memorial. Mary said Rubino was the best daughter a mother could hope for and said she would ‘give her last breath’ to have her back.

After a closing prayer delivered by Helfrich, the ceremony concluded with a reading of the poem ‘Light a Candle’ and a candlelit processional out of the chapel.’

Though the memorial for Rubino was a time for her friends and loved ones to gather and grieve, it was also an opportunity to celebrate her life and the profound effect she had on so many, friends and family members said. Her father said that what was significant was not the brevity of Rubino’s life, but its vibrancy.

‘Do not be overwhelmed by Victoria’s passing,’ he said.’ ‘Instead, be overwhelmed by her life.’