Letters to Editor, Opinion

LETTER: Stop the CGS stereotypes

I am writing to express my disappointment with the editing staff at The Daily Free Press for their failure to acquire all of the facts before poking fun at the College of General Studies and its students. The writers and editors made jokes at the expense of CGS in two separate sections, both of which were in fairly bad taste (‘Campus Crime Logs,’ ‘Interrobang,’ April 2). I personally am not against the use of jokes, puns, wordplay, irony, sarcasm, etc., but I think that the editors should perhaps research the victims of their jokes more thoroughly, before making fools of themselves (unintentionally, no doubt.) If the editors had familiarized themselves with the current curriculum at the College of General Studies, they would have discovered that there is indeed a science requirement, and that there has been since the college’s inception. Also, as much as CGS students, myself included, wish that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. could be brought back to life, I am sure I am not alone among them when I ask that you please respect the intelligence of your fellow BU students, regardless of what school they are in or if it is April Fool’s Day or not. We are all very much aware of the negative stereotype that haunts CGS and its students, but that does not mean that our campus newspaper, however independent it may be, is justified in maintaining that stereotype. I hope that I may pick up future editions of The Daily Free Press and not feel insulted by two separate sections within the first three pages.

P.S. – I want to apologize for my delayed response to your edition from last week. I would have written sooner, if I was not researching and devising a policy plan to alleviate the impoverished legal permanent resident children of our country for my Capstone project. Yeah, I went there.

Meredith Crosbie

CGS ’09/CAS ’11

1. As a current CGS Student, I would like to say that I am very proud to be in the program and at Boston University. I graduate in 4 years with a BU degree just like everyone else. We make up almost a quarter of incoming freshman. When we continue into other colleges, professors often comment that we are some of the most driven and well prepared students for class. 10 of last years Scarlet Key recipients were CGS Alumi, there were only 40 recipients total and it is the highest honor a student leader can receive from the University. Also, Nichole Szembrot, I and many of my fellow CGS students are on financial aid, we aren’t a bunch of rich snobs that BU accepted to get our money. <p/>PS. I would have written sooner if I weren’t devising a way save democracy in the United States from the threat of consolidating corporate media from mammoth deregulation of communications law for my capstone project. Yeah, I went there.

2. Thank you for pledging to “alleviate” the immigrant children of our country. Others have tried to alleviate poverty among children, but I think that you are really getting to the root of the problem.<p/>I would also like to express my support for the College of General Studies. I am sincerely grateful to the CGS students and their parents who have paid my tuition for the past 4 years.<p/>P.S.–I want to apologize for my delayed response to your letter from earlier today. I would have written sooner, if I were not signing a letter accepting a fellowship offer from a doctoral program at an Ivy League university. Yeah, I went there.