STAFF EDIT: Clustering not the answer

Attracting more students to on-campus housing is in the best interests of Boston University, given how overcrowded Allston neighborhoods have become. However, establishing cluster housing for fraternities and sororities in BU dormitories is the wrong method to bring more BU students back on campus.’

Cluster housing may have the effect of bringing fraternities and sororities closer together, but would go against President Robert Brown’s ‘One BU’ initiative to unite the campus rather than splinter it.’ It might be advantageous to fraternities or sororities to have their members live in one place on campus, but those not involved in Greek Life could feel alienated if they were to end up on a fraternity or sorority-dominated floor.’

Furthermore, the introduction of fraternity and sorority cluster housing would significantly impact the recruitment process. For students looking to join a fraternity or sorority, the location of the on-campus fraternity or sorority housing suddenly becomes a major factor in their decision. Instead of choosing the fraternity or sorority that is the best for them, some students will choose the fraternity or sorority whose housing is based in Student Village Phase II over the one in The Towers. The fraternities and sororities living in the nicest dormitories are bound to become the most popular while those in less desirable residences may have difficulty attracting recruits.

If fraternities and sororities are adamant about relocating to on-campus housing, the best place for them would be in brownstones or South Campus apartments in a format similar to how specialty housing works. This will ensure that on-campus housing for fraternities and sororities is as equal as possible and only contains students who want to live there. Instituting cliquey fraternity and sorority floors may be more convenient and easier for the fraternities and sororities than finding off-campus housing, but it will come at the expense of those who want no part of Greek Life.