Lacrosse, Sports

Pretty in pink

Following a dominating win over Boston College on Wednesday, the No. 12 Boston University women’s lacrosse team looks to continue its seven-game wining streak when it travels to the University of Vermont Saturday to face the conference rival Catamounts at 3 p.m.

‘We want to take the confidence we gained with the big win over BC and continue that in conference play,’ BU coach Liz Robertshaw said. ‘The team did a good job being aggressive offensively and defensively, and we want to continue that. All seven attackers need to be attacking the net and be scoring threats.’

While not an attacker, senior All-American midfielder Sarah Dalton leads the Terrier (9-3, 3-0 America East) offense with a nation-best 57 goals. In the game against BC, Dalton broke BU’s record for career points with her 242nd tally. Aside from Dalton, junior attackers Traci Landy and McKinley Curro have combined for 61 goals, and fellow junior attacker Xan Weitzel leads the Terriers with 26 assists.

For Vermont (7-5, 2-1), the scoring is a bit more spread out than the Terriers. Senior midfielder Kristen Millar leads the Catamounts in points with 48 (26 goals, 22 assists), but the team has five other players with double-digit goal totals. Freshman midfielder Allison Pfohl has stepped up nicely for the Catamounts, and her 27 goals are the most on the team. Junior midfielder Sara Buxton’s 21 goals round out the top-three Vermont scorers.

‘They’re a team that can score a lot of different ways,’ Robertshaw said. ‘Millar leads the team. She does a great job and plays hard, but they have a pretty balanced attack so every defender needs to do her job and shut them down.’

In net for the Catamounts, freshman Olivia Hatfield has logged the majority of minutes and has a 10.51 goals against average. But her 6-5 record comes as a result of inconsistent play, giving up everywhere from 16 goals against Dartmouth to six goals against UMBC.

The Terriers have been perfect in conference play so far, with wins over the University at Albany, the University of New Hampshire, and Stony Brook University. In those matches, junior goalkeeper Rachel Klein has played well, allowing an average of 10 goals per game, including a 16-save performance against UNH. After a shaky start to the season, Klein has settled in nicely and has lowered her goals against average to 10.56, while playing every minute of every game.

As for Vermont, the team started conference play well with wins over Binghamton University and the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, but the Catamounts slipped up with a 13-7 loss to Albany in their last contest. Still, Robertshaw expects Vermont to be a contender for the America East title.

‘They’re a huge challenge for us and they’re capable of pulling an upset,’ Robertshaw said. ‘We are totally focused on this game and are going to put our best foot forward. We’re trying to win another conference title, and this is a step along the way.’