Field Hockey, Sports

Senior captains carrying BU

After three straight losses, including two by a single goal, the Boston University field hockey team has slipped out of the national rankings. It’s easy to blame the Terriers’ (1-5) early struggles on an inexperienced roster or on a difficult schedule that included four ranked teams. But senior co-captains Nikki Lloyd and Haley Robinson are not at fault.

‘I think they’re both obviously really well respected by their teammates,’ BU coach Sally Starr said earlier this season. ‘It’s a mandate by their teammates and I think they’ll provide really good leadership for us.’

The captains have provided more than leadership. Starting with a strong showing against the top-ranked University of Maryland, Lloyd now has four goals on the season and leads the team with 17 shots on goal. The forward single-handedly downed then-No. 17 University of Massachusetts-Amherst with a hat trick, including the decisive overtime goal.

‘[Lloyd] was really almost without exception one of the best players on the field of exceptional players, particularly with the Maryland team,’ Starr said. ‘Nikki was absolutely exceptional, unbelievably exceptional. It was fun watching her.’

On the other end of the field, Robinson has reliably anchored the BU defense, leading all current Terriers with 57 career starts. She has even tallied an assist on the year. Yet as much the captains have done, Starr still looks to the other veterans to steer the young team, hopefully to a better record as the season continues.

‘I really think that we’re looking for shared leadership as much as possible, so we’re not solely putting the burden on Robbie and Nikki,’ Starr said. ‘But we really need continued leadership of the upperclassmen . . .The more leadership you have from your senior class, the better.’

Caught in the Midfield

Essential to the Terriers’ fortunes, both offensively and defensively, is the midfield unit. With a new self-start rule that accelerated the pace of play, quality midfielders are more valuable than ever and central ‘- no pun intended ‘- to the fate of the team.

‘It’s a faster game, and it’s definitely a more physically challenging game because of the speed of the game,’ Starr said. ‘I think that what we’re finding is . . . we’re substituting more through midfield because of the physical demands of the game, offensively and defensively.’

On offense, junior Allie Dolce is BU’s top scorer with five points on three goals and two assists. Redshirt freshman Rachel White and New Zealand-native Nicole van Oosterom have added a goal and an assist, respectively. Junior Maryette Stuart also converted BU’s only penalty stroke this year against No. 9/15 Boston College. In total, five of BU’s 11 goals on the year have come off the sticks of midfielders.

‘[Van Oosterom] is really just getting better and better every day,’ Starr said. ‘She’s very skilled, very talented, a very good two-way midfielder.

‘[White] has really been a pleasant surprise early on this season. Her effectiveness and competitiveness has been outstanding.’

On the Horizon

The Terriers have four games before the all-important America East opener against the University of Vermont at Jack Barry Field. The results of these upcoming matches are the difference between going into conference play with a .500 record or a dismal eight below. If the Terriers want any momentum going into their conference schedule, they will have to impress outside America East.

‘The biggest thing is that we really have to take care of the games we need to take care of and we’ve got to take care of our conference games,’ Starr said.

On the slate is a late Saturday afternoon home game against Sacred Heart University, followed by a three-game road trip starting at Dartmouth College. Next weekend is a daunting trip down south to Virginia, facing No. 5/8 University of Virginia and No. 15/10 Old Dominion University. BU has its hands full, but as Starr said before the season, the team needs to concentrate on each game while still focused on the ultimate objective: reaching the national tournament.

‘My goals for the season [are] to get better everyday, to win the America East championship. ‘hellip; successfully play the play-in game, then get into the NCAA Tournament and take it one game at a time [from there],’ Starr said.