Campus, City, News

Allston stabbing victim was BU dining employee

The 24-year-old man stabbed and killed in Allston in the early hours of Sunday morning was a Boston University Dining Services staff member, BU officials said.

Though he could not confirm details of victim Gregory Phillips’ affiliation with BU Dining Services, spokesman Colin Riley said he would be missed.

‘Obviously it’s a terrible shame,’ BU spokesman Colin Riley said. ‘Let’s hope his family gets some justice.’

Phillips was stabbed to death shortly before 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning after an altercation outside of a Brighton Avenue bar, Suffolk County District Attorney Office spokesman Jake Wark said.

‘There was an altercation outside of a night club,’ Wark said. ‘That altercation was a physical altercation that moved around the corner. In the altercation, the victim suffered a stab wound to the chest that turned out to be fatal.’

Wark said suspect Corey Patterson, 23, who is currently being held in custody because of another unrelated charge, returned to the scene of the crime.

‘Shortly after the stabbing, witnesses heard what turned out to be metal falling to the ground at the scene,’ Wark said. ‘Corey Patterson returned to the scene in a motor vehicle and got the knife.’

Wark said Patterson did not cooperate when the Boston Police Department arrived.

‘Patterson refused to give up the knife and get out of the car and proceeded to fight the officers who took him into custody,’ Wark said.

BPD officials said they have not yet released all the details of the incident as the investigation is ongoing.

Students said they remembered Phillips working at the Myles Standish Hall dining hall and were shocked by the news of his death, though Myles officials could not confirm he worked there.

‘That is so sad. I love the dining hall people,’ College of General Studies sophomore Abigail Felix, a Myles resident, said. ‘This is crazy.’

CAS sophomore and Myles resident Mauricio Figueroa said he remembers Phillips talking about his daughter, who is four years old, according to a Nov. 9 Allston-Brighton Tab article.

‘He was just a chill guy,’ Figueroa said. ‘It’s horrible.’

College of Communication sophomore Alyssa Turner remembered Phillips making omelets for her.

‘ ‘He seemed friendly,’ she said.

Allston residents said the news made them nervous about where they live.

‘It’s really scary because I walked past that Tedeschi’s [Food Shop, near the scene of the crime] literally every single night,’ College of Arts and Sciences junior Daria Whalen said. ‘I live a block away on Linden Street and I pass it all the time and it’s totally weird to think that someone got stabbed.’

CAS sophomore and Allston resident Kenny Jahan said the incident reinforces aspects of Allston’s reputation.

‘It’s a little disconcerting. I’ve always been told it’s a sketchy place,’ he said. ‘It just brings it home.’

Whalen said she frequented the Myles dining hall while living at Danielsen Hall.

‘It’s kind of close to home in several respects,’ she said. ‘I probably saw that guy every day while I was getting French fries, and now he’s dead a block away from my home.’

Students said they are sad they will not be seeing Phillips in the dining hall.

‘I think I recall him talking some friendly banter,’ CAS sophomore Evan O’Connor said. ‘He’ll be missed.’

Staff writer Annie Ropeik contributed reporting to this article.