Teen shot outside of Brockton High

A former Brockton High School student was shot three times outside the school gym Wednesday afternoon during the school’s winter sports tryouts, according to reports.

Students reported hearing seven shots on the stairs outside before the victim, Lionel Brown, entered the gym just before 5 p.m., The Brockton Enterprise reported. He was taken to Good Samaritan Medical Center, though his injuries are described as non-life-threatening and he is in stable condition, according to The Enterprise.

Brown, 17, dropped out of BHS last year. According to The Enterprise, witnesses saw Brown arguing with the shooting suspect on the gym stairs shortly before the shots were heard, and seven shells were later found on the stairs.

Police are still searching for the suspect, who has been described as a light-skinned black man, between 15 to 19 years old, 5-foot-9-inches, wearing a red jacket over a grey hoodie, The Enterprise reported.

School officials told The Enterprise that this incident raises security concerns at BHS, which BHS has a population of about 4,500.

Ward 5 School Committeeman-elect Bill Carpenter said the Brockton school system owns metal detectors but does not use them, according to reports.

‘If it took place in the building, we’re going to have to look at metal detectors,’ Brockton Mayor-elect Linda Balzotti told The Enterprise.