Campus, City, News

New York 'Real Housewife' dishes recipe, diet tips at B&N

“Real Housewife” Bethenny Frankel dished out cooking tips and a heaping dose of gossip at her book signing Wednesday night.

Frankel spoke to a crowd of about 200 people at Boston University’s Barnes &’ Noble about her life, pregnancy and new book, “The Skinnygirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life.”

“I get letters every day from people who have lost 100 pounds, 50 pounds . . . but it’s not about the number,” she said. “It’s great.”

Frankel is one of six women featured on Bravo’s “The Real Housewives of New York City,” a television show documenting the lifestyles of wealthy women living in Manhattan and the Hamptons. Frankel was also a contestant on “The Apprentice: Martha Stewart” and has a solo reality show in the works.

Renowned in the reality show world for her svelte appearance, Frankel describes herself as a “health foodie.” Her first book, “Naturally Thin: Unleash Your Skinnygirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting” debuted this year on The New York Times Best Sellers list. In it, Frankel gives tips for easy, healthy cooking.

“[Cooking] can be maddening, because you have to go to a supermarket and buy all these ingredients and look at a recipe,” she said. “It doesn’t have to be.”

Frankel went on to describe the details of her book and the healthy recipes one could find, many of which have come about as a “happy accident.”

“The recipes are so good, so easy . . . you are going to love them,” she said. “I renovate them. I take really fattening things like lasagna and spinach artichoke dip, and make them really healthy. I make “mock-a-mole,’ where I take half the avocado out of the recipe and replace it with peas. You’d never know.”

Frankel also candidly discussed details of the “The Real Housewives of New York City,” answering questions from the audience regarding her social life and fellow cast mates.

Watchers of the show who attended the event were particularly shocked by her response on whether or not she remained friends with Jill Zarin, another cast member.

“Jill and I definitely had a big moment, and to be honest with you, we’re not friends,” she said.

Many attendees said they enjoyed the presentation.

“I absolutely love “The Real Housewives of New York City,’ and she’s my favorite,” said School of Management freshman Sarah Sattar. “Out of all the housewives, people respect her the most.”

Sattar also expressed surprise regarding the split between Frankel and Zarin.

“Their friendship was so emphasized on the show. . . they were the two funny ones that you could relate to,” she said. “Everyone else seemed to be on the show for money and country clubs.”

Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences freshman Angela Stuckey also liked seeing Frankel.

“For a lot of the “housewives,’ the show is kind of a joke, most married into money and are fake,” she said. “[Frankel] is definitely the most real and the most relatable.”