Arts & Entertainment, Events, The Muse

Citizen Cope cruising into town

Citizen Cope is coming to the Paradise Rock Club for three sold-out performances on Feb 25, 26, and 27. Boston is the singer/songwriter’s 12th stop in an extensive nationwide tour that will conclude in Washington, D.C. May 1. He has been touring since early February and added a second leg onto the tour to continue until May of this year.

This tour comes right after the digital release of Citizen Cope’s new CD, The Rainwater LP on Feb. 9 with the physical release coming on March 2. The single from this album, “Healing Hands,” is already Cope’s third-most popular song on iTunes. The album contains 10 new songs featuring Cope’s distinctive rich voice and intriguing instrumentals played by studio legends such as James Poyser, Preston Crump and Michael Neal.
This is the first album that Citizen Cope has released since his 2006 Every Waking Moment. Cope released his three previous albums with three separate labels, and this album was released under his own label, RainWater Recordings, Inc. As with his previous two records, Cope produced The Rainwater LP himself.
The album, comparatively short, was meant to parallel older LPs that had a limited space for recording. “Vinyl can only have a certain amount of songs,” Cope said on his website. “It takes you on a journey and then when it’s done, you can go, “Cool. Let me check that again.'”
The Rainwater LP features the distinctive sound that Cope has become known for. Grouped with other Alternative groups such as Dispatch and State Radio, Cope sets himself apart with songs that mix blues with classic rock and modern alternative. Cope’s characteristic rich voice lends itself to his poetic lyrics, creating new and unique music in a music scene where nearly nothing is new or unique.
Citizen Cope, a.k.a. Clarence Greenwood, was born in Memphis but is currently based in Brooklyn. Since Cope’s self-titled first album in 2002, he has collaborated on songs with many other major artists, such as Dido and Carlos Santana, and had many of his own featured in movies and television, including One Tree Hill, Entourage and Cold Case.