Academia, News

UMass president to step down after 6 years

University of Massachusetts President Jack Wilson will be stepping down from his position after the 2010-2011 academic year, he announced Monday.

“It has been an honor and privilege to serve as a steward of this University. It has been a joy to work on behalf of the students, faculty and staff of the University through the good times and through the challenges,” Wilson, the state school system’s 25th president, said in a press release. “But now it is time for me to prepare to hand the baton to the next President.”

After having been in office for over six years now, Wilson, 64, has not announced yet what his plans for the future are, or whether he will continue to be part of the university after he resigns his post June 30, 2011. However, he said in the release that he does not expect to retire.

“I feel that it will soon be time to open a new chapter in my career,” he said.

Known for his efforts to make UMass more financially viable for students, Wilson will exit on the heels of the creation of the state’s first public law school, recently approved and set to open in September, as well as other monetary advancements, according to the release.

“This year, we have reached a new high in meeting 93 percent of students’ demonstrated financial need &- a number far higher than any of the other public universities in the region,” Wilson said.

As a physicist, the release said, Wilson focused on economic development, technology and innovation research, which he said he hopes the University during his presidency, which he said he hopes the university will continue.