Softball, Sports

Setterlund goes 11-for-11 on weekend

While the Boston University softball team swept both the College of the Holy Cross and Dartmouth College this weekend, no player frustrated opposing teams more than junior centerfielder April Setterlund.

Setterlund befuddled every pitcher she faced this weekend, going 11-for-11 with 15 RBIs, five singles, a double, a triple and four home runs, increasing her America East-leading batting average to .597 on the season.

On Saturday afternoon, Setterlund set single-game school records in RBIs (7) and total bases (10) and tied a single-game school record with two home runs in each game. The centerfielder has a 10-game hitting streak and has a hit in her last 12 at-bats. She leads the league in almost every offensive category, including batting average, slugging percentage, on-base percentage and runs-scored, and is tied for the league lead in doubles and triples.

“I don’t have that good of a vocabulary to do her weekend justice,” said BU coach Shawn Rychcik. “She had a great weekend, probably as good as she’ll ever have.”

Setterlund started her scoring barrage in the bottom of the second inning of the first game on Saturday against Holy Cross. With runners on first and second, Setterlund doubled, scoring both runners, before she advanced to third on the throw. Junior catcher Caitlin Rentler then singled to score Setterlund.

She homered in consecutive at-bats in the fourth and fifth innings before Holy Cross intentionally walked her in her final at-bat of the game.

In the first inning of the doubleheader’s second game, Setterlund hit a three-run home run to left field and later singled up the middle to give her five RBIs in one inning. In the third inning&-on her final plate appearance of the day&-Setterlund hit a two-run home run for her fourth home run of the weekend.

She earned an impressive 3.167 slugging percentage through the two games.

Setterlund had a quieter day on Sunday, going 5-5 with two RBIs.

In the first game, she hit two singles, stole a base and walked once. In the second game, she completed the weekend cycle by hitting a triple in the first inning, then hit two more singles and stole another base.

“If everything has to go through her, we’re in a good spot,” Rychcik said. “We can get people on base in front of her, not vacate bases where people can just flat-out walk her. If we have [players on] first and second, I dare somebody to [load the bases] because Caitlin is hitting the ball pretty well behind her, too.”

In the third inning of the first game on Sunday, Rentler made Dartmouth pay for allowing Setterlund to reach base. After Setterlund singled, Rentler doubled to right center, scoring Setterlund and sparking a three-run inning.

In the first inning of the second game on Sunday, Rentler plated Setterlund with a single after Setterlund had tripled.

“It’s a good part of our team, but she’s relying on some other people,” Rychcik said. “Right now, the rest of the team is really helping out by being on base around her. It’s making it really hard for teams to just completely work around her.”