Arts & Entertainment

A piece of Cake

Being a communications major and self-proclaimed writer since I mastered the grip on my pencil, there are seldom times I find myself at a loss for words. At the risk of sounding cliché, this past Saturday night left me speechless, unable to articulate the overwhelming joy that washed over me being one of the few (well...almost 3,000) lucky individuals spending their "evening with CAKE," as John McCrea so eloquently put it. And it was just that: a full evening with CAKE in which McCrea, who unlike this writer was at no loss for words, and his fellow band-mates made the audience feel like more than the usual third-party onlookers: we were elemental in this "evening."

With no opening band to slow things down, CAKE came on with a splash, starting off with a rousing rendition of "We Are Building a Religion." The next song, "Frank Sinatra" offered a spotlight for Vince DiFiore with a funereal trumpet solo that sent a wave of chills over me. The cleverly worded half-sung, half-spoken lyrics paired perfectly with DiFiore's smooth keyboard playing wowed the audience. The set changed pace a bit with the third song, "Wheels," featuring entrancing harmonies that had the whole audience dancing in the aisles.

There was no shortage of enthusiasm as McCrea began his set break by chatting with the audience. Begging them to sing along, he likened the endorphin-induced effects to a "free beer...or perhaps a free mixed drink. Whatever your fancy." "War Pigs," was a surprise fourth number, followed by "Sad Songs &' Waltz," "It's Been a

Long Time" and "Stickshifts and Safetybelts." McCrea broke up their string of hits with a short story about the lyrics in "Shadow Stabbing," which he and a friend, George, who was fortunate enough to be in attendance that evening, wrote in high school. "Bound for Mexico" followed, bringing the entire audience to move together in a rhythmic, hypnotic sway.

Thank heavens for John McCrea announcing the release of the next CAKE album,

coming out Jan. 11 -- 1.11.11 for those of you who didn't think of it. Releasing this one on their own label, the band urged their fans to spread the word. The next song, "So Sick of You," was off this upcoming album. I haven't heard every new song but I can say this of what I heard: you will want to buy this album; nay, you SHOULD purchase this album the day it comes out. McCrea bounced from stage left to right calling for clapping, singing and general hoots and hollers from his beloved audience. It was during this song that audience participation took on new meaning. Divided in half and pitted against one another, the audience was given

the task of singing at the top of their lungs. Moving away from right vs. left, the band tested the sound with balcony vs. orchestra singing and then men vs. women, which my personal favorite as one could really hear a difference in dynamics and power that even McCrea seemed overwhelmingly pleased with.

A well rounded set and a 15-minute intermission later, CAKE came back for round two, this time with even more fan-favorites like "Rock "N' Roll Lifestyle," "Jolene," and "Pentagram," as well as a few more newer songs. More audience participation added to the already familial feeling that was growing in the Orpheum that night. The band finished their incredible second set with "Never There" and walked off stage, as if they hadn't already planned what was to be a show-stopping encore.

The roar of the audience was deafening. Chants of "MORE CAKE" filled the room as feet stomped the ground so hard I swore the balcony would crash down. The feeling in the room was so intense, so anticipatory, I could really feel the aforementioned endorphins. And then there

was the encore.

I could have walked out of the concert without hearing their final two songs perfectly happy, but what came next I fear I may never do justice describing. One of the best live versions of my absolute favorite song "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" started with the familiar trumpet blast and finished with an extended sing-a-long with the audience on the Na-na-na-na's only to be followed by a full energy (which I remind you came after a two-set show) "Going the Distance" that allowed me to say with full confidence: I can die happy.

If you missed this show, I beg you to seek out CAKE in the near future. Be it another upcoming concert, buying their latest album, or simply revisiting some old favorites on your iPod. I wish I could do it all again.