Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

The New Minneapolis Sound

An odd assortment of music has sprung forth from Minnesota over the years. Aside from the folk and bluegrass traditionalists of the A Prairie Home Companion crowd, each new artist to emerge from the Land of 10,000 Lakes has transformed almost every imaginable genre of music. Bob Dylan’s folk music became poetic protest anthems before he went electric and influenced acts like The Beatles, the Jimi Hendrix Experience and pretty much any other band that has ever existed. Prince’s slick grooves and sexual energy defined 80s pop music, and created an image so enigmatic that for a decade he was known only as an unpronounceable symbol. And Atmosphere’s raw, independent sound proved not only that Minneapolis hip-hop exists, but that it can hold up with the best of the east and west coasts.

Now touring in the wake of their third album, Outside (Ibid), Tapes ‘N Tapes have joined the bastion of Minnesotans charged with defending the Minneapolis sound. Their first album, The Loon (Ibid), painted the band as indie, lo-fi experimentalists with a pension for hypnotic, psychedelic jams and drew praise from the great David Bowie. After a brief flirtation with major label XL Recordings on 2008’s Walk It Off, which prompted some criticism that the band had lost touch with its roots, Tapes ‘N Tapes returned to form and re-launched their own record label, Ibid, to produce their most recent release.

A small, but devoted crowd met Tapes ‘N Tapes at the Paradise Rock Club last Thursday night, both still trying to shake off the Arctic chill outside. Guitarist and singer Josh Grier greeted the crowd with a warm hello, happy to have escaped the snowstorm from the night before. “It’s good to see you Boston!” said Grier. “We were just trapped in our hotel in Springfield for two days. It’s nice to be out.”

Tapes’ set consisted of mostly new material from Outside (Ibid), showcasing the band’s blend of raw, indie-punk energy and polished production. “Freak Out,” the band’s newest single, builds upon a galloping guitar riff with traces of western and country influences as Grier sings, “Freak out! Freak out! Freak out! / I’ve been sure / Will you look me in the eyes? / Will you run from what you see? / Will you see me in the light? / I hope you do, I hope you stay!”

“One In the World” falls back upon sunny island guitar melodies and keyboardist Matt Kretzman’s trumpeting that would be at home on a Vampire Weekend record. In an effort to forget the freezing cold of February, Grier sings about looking for his heart in the warmth of San Jose, Monaco and Spain among others.

Mid-set, after some friendly banter with the crowd, Grier found himself talking fantasy football. “I made the mistake of picking Drew Brees this year,” he laughed over shouts from the crowd. “I know, I know,” said Grier, shaking his head, “I should have gone with Tom Brady!”

“The Saddest of All Keys” showcased the heavy, trudging instrumentation of drummer Jeremy Hanson and bassist Erik Appelwick over Kretzman’s haunting organ. And “On and On” brought the crowd into the show with a repeated chorus of “On and on and on and on and on and on!” with warping synthesizers and the sliding distortion of Grier’s guitar.

After a set that lasted late into the night, Tapes ‘N Tapes live performance demonstrated the musical prowess and sheer enjoyment behind making Outside. Their blend of indie rock, punk sensibility and influences ranging from Pavement to Caribbean music makes Tapes ‘N Tapes a band well deserving of the Minnesota brand.