Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

Rock and Radin

Joshua Radin seems like a quiet guy from his albums. Known for his trademark “whisper rock,” which developed when Radin’s guitar playing annoyed his neighbors through the walls of his New York City apartment, he doesn’t really seem like he’d be the most outgoing of musicians.

But Radin came out of his shell at the House of Blues Saturday night for a show that was more like an episode of “Storytellers” than a traditional concert. Peppering his set with anecdotes of how various songs came to be allowed the audience to see another side of this quiet artist, and the crowd was more than willing to come along for the ride.

Although Radin’s newest album, 2010’s The Rock and the Tide (Mom And Pop), is far from his strongest work, abandoning his humble beginnings in favor of a much more upbeat, polished sound, the new songs, which sound rather dull on the record, come alive in his performance.

Title track “The Rock and the Tide” was the strongest of the new selections, while “The Ones With the Light” made for a crowd favorite, as Radin prompted an enthusiastic audience sing-along of the chorus.

But as is often the case, it was old favorites that made the night. Tunes such as “I’d Rather Be With You,” “You Got Growin’ Up to Do” and “Winter,” the first song Radin ever wrote, showcased what it is that he does best – simple melodies, soulful vocals, catchy acoustic riffs and connecting with his audiences.

The biggest problem with the show was that it was far too short. Radin played for about an hour and 15 minutes, which, while not unexpected for a songwriter with only three albums worth of material, was disappointing. When you factor in the amount of time he spent talking, the musical selection was somewhat sparse. However, Radin’s personality and stage presence were so strong that they helped to make up the difference.

The highlight of the night came when Radin closed the show with a cover of Bob Dylan’s “Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright,” performed without a microphone and with no accompaniment other than his acoustic guitar. Radin claimed that Dylan is his favorite songwriter of all time, and its clear that he’s learned at least one thing about his craft from the musical icon – even though he may be a talker, at the end of the day he’s just trying to figure out how to get people to really listen.