Softball, Sports

Shaky defense has been Terriers’ biggest problem

With a team batting average and earned run average at the top of the America East, it would seem that the Boston University softball team should be dominating its opponents in just about every category. However, sloppy play in the field has caused countless extra outs and unearned runs for the Terriers.

On the year, the Terriers (18-10, 4-2 AE) have a .951 fielding percentage after giving up 43 errors so far. Leading the way is BU’s left side of the infield. Freshman shortstop Brittany Clendenny and freshman third baseman Megan Volpano have 13 and 15 errors, respectively, as well as the lowest fielding percentages on the team. The Terriers’ opponents have been monopolizing on the defensive miscues, as only 55 out of the 89 runs scored against BU this season have been earned.

BU coach Shawn Rychcik has said that the team’s youth has played a role in its defensive woes.

“We’re young, we [make] mistakes,” Rychcik said of his team last week. “It’s kind of who we are. Our identity is we’ve made some errors this year. We’re trying to get better.”

The Terriers’ roster sports seven freshmen, six of whom are consistent starters for the team.

The team’s defensive problems came to a head this weekend when BU faced off against the University of Maine. BU had six errors in the three-game series that lead to four unearned runs.

“We just didn’t make big plays,” Rychcik said. “[Maine] made the plays, they made a couple of diving catches and we couldn’t come up with the big play. We gave a couple of routine outs away and that’s a pretty good team and they’re going to put the ball in play a lot so you got to make plays or they’re going to do that to you.”

On Saturday, BU’s two errors did nothing but extend the game. However, the Terriers were not so lucky during Sunday’s doubleheader.

In the first game, an error in both the sixth and the seventh innings led to three-run spurts by the Black Bears. Maine started off the sixth inning with a runner on first because of an error by sophomore pitcher Whitney Tuthill. A sacrifice bunt moved the runner over to second. After Tuthill walked the next batter, Maine junior Kirstin Allen doubled to center field to bring in two runs and give the Black Bears the lead.

During the seventh inning, an error by Volpano with runners on second and third led to another Maine run.

The second game of the day featured a first inning with two errors. In the first at-bat of the game, junior left fielder Erica Casacci lost a pop-up that would land right in front of the outfield fence. The runner was able to advance to second base on the play. After a walk and a foul-out, the runner was able to advance to third on a on a wild pitch and then score on a throwing error by freshman catcher Amy Ekart.

Ekart had some sharp defensive plays during the two games, including a few throws to second to stop Maine from snatching the extra base. However, she also had a couple of passed balls that led to runs for the Black Bears.

Despite the rough day, Rychcik was still confident in Ekart’s play.

“She has a lot of opportunities,” Rychcik said. “You’re in play as a catcher every single play… Hopefully she has more good plays than bad plays. I don’t get down a lot on players. I think Amy’s done a good job back there.”

The biggest thing for the Terriers is that they don’t give their opponents any extra outs.

“There’s only so many outs you’re going to make and then you start giving the [other team] some more and more momentum and more energy and they’re going to get some hits behind those mistakes,” Rychcik said. “We gave them a lot of opportunities.”