Softball, Sports

Plourde almighty takes down Terriers

Junior infielder Melanie Delgado will face one of the nation’s top pitchers in UMass ace Sara Plourde at home on Wednesday. MICHAEL CUMMO/ Daily Free Press Staff

Despite coming within one run in the sixth inning, the Boston University softball team fell to University of Massachusetts 3-2 Wednesday afternoon.

The winning run of the game reached base in the sixth inning on an error by freshman third baseman Megan Volpano.

“We have a lot of heart,” said BU coach Shawn Rychcik. “We’ve had a lot of come-from-behind wins this year…Unfortunately it was kind of the run we gave them that hurt us.”

The Terriers (18-11, 4-2 America East) had six hits during the game, which put an end to UMass pitcher Sara Plourde’s 18 2/3-inning streak of not giving up a hit. BU broke the streak in the second inning on a double to left field by freshman shortstop Brittany Clendenny.

Even though BU had a few hits early on in the game, the Terriers were not able to capitalize on the runners in scoring position. Plourde struck out eight BU players during the course of the game.

“That girl on the mound is an All-American and she led the country in strikeouts last year,” Rychcik said, “so you’ve really got to hope you can take advantage of the opportunities… I think our kids made a lot better adjustments.”

The scoring started in third inning when UMass freshman Lindsey Webster doubled to right center field with two outs. Freshman pitcher Holli Floetker walked the next batter to leave runners on first and third with senior Audrey Boutin up to the plate. Boutin, who is hitting .314 on the season, singled to left field to score Webster.

The Minutewomen (14-14, 5-3 Atlantic 10) added on another run in the fourth when UMass freshman Tiffany Meeks singled to the pitcher. Junior Stephanie Mix came in to pinch run for Meeks and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. Junior Kyllie Magill then stepped up to the plate and hit a single to center to score the second UMass run.

UMass finished off their scoring in the top of the sixth inning. Sophomore Cyndil Matthew got on base with two outs on an error by Volpano. Magill then tripled to left field to score what ended up as the winning run.

The Terriers chipped away at UMass’ lead in the bottom half of the inning. Junior left fielder Erica Casacci started off with a walk and senior center fielder April Setterlund hit a single to put runners on first and second.

Volpano then singled up the middle to load the bases. Floetker hit a sacrifice fly to left field to score Casacci. With two outs in the inning, freshman first basemen Chelsea Kehr, who didn’t play in the last few games because of an undisclosed injury, doubled to right field, scoring Setterlund.

“It’s the at-bats – good, quality at-bats,” Rychcik said, “we put pressure on [Plourde] in the batter’s box…We got in some hitter’s counts later on, drew a couple walks, so I think our at-bats got better.”

BU almost took back the game in the bottom of the seventh. Redshirt freshman Jayme Mask started off the inning with her second single of the game and promptly stole second base. Casacci grounded out to second to advance Mask to third. Setterlund was then intentionally walked.

After Volpano popped out to the shortstop, Setterlund took second to put the winning run in scoring position. Floetker then lined out to the UMass third baseman, who snatched the ball out of the air to end the threat and the game.

“I give credit to the kids for hanging in there,” Rychcik said. “Early on you miss some opportunities and you say, ‘Oh man, we may have just missed our chance to win this game early,’ and then you fight back off her.”