Columnists, Other, Sports

MAZUREK: Dog Pound needs more bite

There are moments in college that you will never forget.  One such event for me was my first Boston University men’s hockey game.

I, like any freshman who attended Saturday’s game, was ignorant of the chants and traditions that the Dog Pound and the BU Pep Band had established in years past.  I remember BU upsetting the No. 5 North Dakota Fighting Sioux (cue the racist mascot chant), but more importantly getting yelled at by upperclassmen for asking what a sieve was.

Oct. 1, 2011 marked a day that I hoped would be a special and unforgettable experience for the freshmen at BU.

What I saw was an embarrassing performance by our team, specifically our defense.  I cannot sum up in words that are not expletives what I thought of BU’s performance Saturday night and the team’s decision not to give the fans still in the stands a stick salute after the end of the game.

Okay, we might have scored four straight goals in the third period to make the game interesting, but an exhibition against St. Francis Xavier should not be interesting.

Rather, it should have been a one-sided, dominating performance to get students excited for the season. If I lived in Canada, I would be jumping at the opportunity to buy St. Francis Xavier season tickets right now.

While I was undoubtedly upset by Saturday’s outcome, I am more concerned with the impression new BU students got of our hockey team.  Seeing a team that is ranked 10th nationally, with two first place votes, certainly must have made freshmen excited for the upcoming season.

The energy in Agganis Arena was great before the game started; however, it was not so great for the rest of the game.

Freshman and anyone new to BU hockey, please do not let this one performance stop you from going to games!

During my three-plus years at BU, the hockey program has gone through the best of times and also the worst of times.  As a fan of men’s hockey, be expected to go on a roller coaster ride full of ups and downs throughout the season. While you cannot control what BU team takes the ice each game, which is up to Coach Jack Parker and the student athletes, you can control how much fun you will have with the other students at the game – a.k.a the Dog Pound.

The Dog Pound exists for three reasons.  Each reason is important individually, and when the reasons are combined, it makes a first-rate student section.

The first is to support our student athletes. Yes, I know it is difficult to show support when your team is down 5-0 to some no-name Canadian school, but you have to do your best.

Second, it exists to make Agganis Arena — or any facility — an intimidating place to play for opposing teams.

Lastly, the Dog Pound wishes to make games more fun for those who attend and create an event-like atmosphere.

If you cheer, dance and simply make noise, I guarantee you will have more fun.  Even if BU is losing — which will happen during the season, I promise — funnel that negative energy toward jokes and chants against the other team.

The best thing about the Dog Pound is it is free — all you need to do is attend games, chant and preferably stand throughout the game, with exception of intermissions.  I personally am peeved when I see someone sitting in sections 108 or 118, as it gives the image that you do not care anymore.

Another piece of advice is to buy a hockey jersey — it is a four year investment and something you can hold far after you have graduated from Boston University.

Hopefully I have convinced you to attend another hockey game and if I haven’t convinced you, go to YouTube and search “BU hockey” and click the first video. I have a feeling you will suddenly want to attend some games.

Admittedly, in the past few years, the Dog Pound has lost some of its mojo and creativity.  This year we hope to change this, and we need your help.

While the Dog Pound has their traditional chants and songs, creativity is always respected and encouraged.  Do not be intimidated to try something new.

If you wish to try a new chant, do not hesitate to talk to those who are starting the chants in either section 108 or 118.  I promise we do not bite.  You can even contact Dog Pound members on the Facebook profile, or through email, dogpound@bu.edu.

The Dog Pound is here for you and only you can control what you get out of it.  If you find yourself wanting to separate yourself from an average fan, I urge you to do so.  Unity, dedication, creativity and strong hatred of Boston College are what make the Dog Pound successful.  As Dog Pound leaders graduate, new fans are expected to step up and make their mark during games.

Will that person be you?