Community, Features, Weeklies

‘Green’ Eye Shadow

Environmentally friendly makeup and cosmetics products are gaining popularity among consumers. 

As consumers browse the cosmetics aisle at CVS, carbon footprints are probably the last thing on their minds. Consumers are taught to be wary of harmful chemicals in the things they eat, but what about what they apply on their skin every day?

READ THE LABEL

Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences junior Veronika Sychevskaya said she is normally unaware of what products are in her makeup.

“I rarely take the time to check the label,” she said. “I’ve heard horror stories of chemicals and things, but I think most girls think that if it makes it to the shelves it must okay. Whatever is cheap is what I get.”

With eco-friendly movements gaining popularity in a variety of aspects of life, it is no surprise that the “going green” frenzy has taken on the cosmetics industry as well.

However, for makeup and skincare the term eco-friendly does not simply apply to what the products do to the environment, but what unnatural additives might do to the consumer.

Potentially harmful chemicals such as boron nitride, lead and sometimes arsenic make it onto shelves in cosmetics aisles everywhere. Eco-friendly makeup brands work to protect both the environment and the consumer from their effect, according to natural-skincare-authority.com.

Websites such as ecouterre.com provide ample information on current fashion trends in both clothing and makeup, as well as affordable eco-friendly alternatives. The company’s mission statement on its website shows how these products are being geared toward “fashionistas.”

“We’re excited about the future of fashion design and think that it’s time for hardcore fashionistas and hardcore greenies alike to start paying attention to eco-fashion. We hope that Ecouterre will provide that forum, paving the way to a smarter, more sustainable future,” the mission statement says.

With blog posts titled “7 Eco-Friendly (And Vegan!) Makeup Brushes for Cruelty-Free Primping” and “6 Affordable Eco-Friendly Cosmetics You Can Find at the Drugstore,” among others, Ecouterre caters to a wide range of clientele.

COSMETIC COMPANIES

Cosmetic companies such as FaceFront, in conjunction with the Weiss-Johnson company, have also joined the trend. The company focuses on a minimalist strategy of less packaging.

Ashley McGuire, public relations specialist for Weiss Johnson Luxury Brands, said via email that many things must be put into consideration for a product to be eco-friendly.

“We take close consideration as to how we package and develop the products,” McGuire said.

“Not only are a large amount of the products offered vegan, but we also make sure all packaging is minimal on what we offer. When a person purchases our products, they are not enveloped in heavy cardboard and colored inks,” McGuire said. “Instead, you will get a chic, modern jar/tube sealed and ready to use.”

Everything from the FaceFront website to the look and design of their packaging is simple and understated. This allows the vibrant shades and quality of their products to do the talking. The company’s philosophy helps to reduce a negative environmental impact and keep their cosmetics healthy for consumer use.

“In our opinion, the average amount of packaging used in modern cosmetics is unnecessary and far too bulky,” she said. “For us, and makeup professionals alike, the product speaks for itself: no need for heavy plastics or paper. We are dedicated to minimizing our carbon footprint from the start.”

Aside from the environmental benefits of manufacturing cosmetics that produce less waste and more quality, FaceFront also specializes in makeup that caters to both genders.

Packaging products in a modern, chic way that is not gender-specific, as well as marketing uses of products as broadly as possible, truly creates the stepping stones that are required in the bridging the gap between both male and females, as we see in society,” McGuire said.

However, McGuire said she understands that this eco-friendly trend might not be appealing to everyone.

“Although not every male will appreciate our products, we avidly work with both genders through PR efforts to neutralize the stereotypes of ‘makeup’ and create a level playing ground for both to coincide,” she said.

College of Communication senior Alexandra Forero said the higher prices of these eco-friendly products might be a turnoff for some consumers.

“‘Green’ brands seem to be expensive like organic products. It might not be economically practical for everyone,” she said. “No one wants to spend that much on cosmetics, even if it weighs of their conscience.”

Other big names, such as MAC Cosmetics, participate in programs like “Back to MAC” that reward loyal customers who return six empty primary containers with a free lipstick of their choice. By providing incentives for consumers to recycle, MAC promotes the continued use of their brand while reducing their environmental impact.

CONVENIENT COVER-UP

Similarly, products such as the UNII Makeup Palette, which is sold by UNII Cosmetics, promotes both convenience and reduced packaging by providing a magnetized palette which stores brushes and various refills in a wallet-sized container.

Although a seemingly small invention, the UNII Makeup Palette has the potential to make a big impact. Defeating the purpose of buying and re-buying new makeup cases and containers each time the product runs out, palettes such as UNII’s greatly reduce the use of plastics and unnecessary materials, according to the company’s website.

Consumers such as Sychevskaya said the simple packaging that UNII Makeup Palette promotes is useful for her messy ways.

“My makeup bag is always a mess. It’s obnoxious using so many different brands since they each have their own tiny package that I have to open and close,” Sychevskaya said. “I would definitely make use of something that held everything and didn’t require so much waste.”

Another facet of the eco-friendly cosmetic craze involves promoting fair trade products.

According to fairtrade.net, the fair trade movement focuses on sustainability for developing countries, ensuring that working conditions are acceptable and environmental standards are met.

This marketing strategy promotes higher prices for exporters, helping to reduce the exploitation of third world countries.

Major retailers such as The Body Shop and Whole Foods Market sell a wide array of fair trade beauty products and cosmetics. These companies also fight to protect animal rights by refusing to sell products tested on animals.

Websites such as peta.org provide consumers with an extensive list that distinguishes between companies that participate in animal testing and those that do not. To them, eco-friendly does not only mean protecting humans and their physical environment, but the animals that belong to that environment as well.

College of Arts and Sciences junior Peter Boule-Getsinger wants to see animals protected against testing for products.

“Animal testing should only be done it it’s absolutely necessary and if the results from it can be justified for scientific or medicinal purposes,” he said. “I feel that vanity is not a good enough justification.”

1. HA! Scott F, thanks for being brave enough to say what I wasn’t about to.

2. For the record, hardly any pesticides are used on commercially grown rice. I am involved in rice farming in Northeast Arkansas on the edge of one of highest rice producing counties in the country. More than anything else, herbicides are used on rice but the majority of those are hardly toxic in the amount that MIGHT make it to the end users kitchen.Report this comment as spam or abuse

3. It’s very important that people pick a detox program that is right for them. If you pick one that’s not suited to your personality then you’re more likely to give up or not enjoy it.

4. organic cat food

This product’s ingredient profile on the Earth’s Best website does not list “Syrup Solids”; however, buyers should be aware that the formula has recently changed to now include this ingredient. Their website has not yet been updated to reflect this (as of 7/18/2010).

5. Wonderful paintings! That is the type of info that are supposed to be shared across the net. Shame on Google for no longer positioning this publish upper! Come on over and talk over with my web site . Thanks =)