Sports, Track and Field

Runners show off skills at Florida relays

At two weekend meets, members of the Boston University track and field team had a competitive showing, with several athletes placing high and earning conference-best marks.

At the prestigious Florida Relays in Gainesville, Fla., freshman Reuben Horace placed eighth in the hammer throw with a mark of 54.89 meters.

Director of track and field Robyne Johnson said she was pleased with the performance of her star freshman.

“He did well,” Johnson said. “He was ranked very, very high coming out of high school nationally, so he’s kind of accustomed to being in a big group. Of course being a freshman does change some things, but he’s been performing well. We expect big things from him down the line.”

Senior Tewado Latty competed in the 400m dash, posting a conference-best time of 47.16 seconds, which was good enough for 14th place.

Senior R.J. Page ran the 200m dash in a time of 21.07 seconds, which is also the best time in the event in America East this season.

Freshman David Lagerberg, Latty, Page and graduate student Zachary Ray combined to compete in the 4×400, placing ninth with a time of 3:10.16.

Sophomore Gemma Acheampong, senior Shelby Walton, senior Nikko Brady and junior Carolyn Maynard teamed up three times to compete in the 4x100m (47.27 seconds), 4x200m (1:38.47) and 4x400m (3:53.65) relays. Their time in the 4x100m relay is a season best for the quartet, and also the second-best time in the conference this season.

“They’re working pretty well together,” Johnson said of the group. “They seem to be getting it done. We’re happy with their performance.”

Several athletes also fared well on a chilly day at the George Davis Invitational in Lowell Saturday. Senior Sam Wuest competed in the high jump, earning the only Terrier victory of the weekend with a jump of 1.98m.

“That was good for him because he’s come off of injury, so I’m glad to see him getting back into it,” Johnson said. “A win always helps anybody’s [confidence] … I’m very happy to see him back out there.”

Senior Adam Weaver placed fifth in the pole vault, with a mark of 4.10m.

On the track, sophomore John McKeon placed fourth in the 1,500m run, clocking 4:10.92. Freshman Paul Gennaro placed 11th (4:15.36) in the same event.

Senior Sam Arsenault placed third in the 110m hurdles with a personal-best time of 15.86 seconds. He also took third in the long jump, with a mark of 6.72m.

Senior Michael Caputo placed seventh in the 5,000m run with a time of 15:41.30.

For the women, sophomore Amber Muhammed finished sixth in the 400m dash (1:00.80) and 11th in the 200m dash (27.35 seconds). Freshman Catherine Sampson placed 12th in the 200m dash with a time of 27.44 seconds.

Senior Susan Ottey placed fifth in the hammer throw with a mark of 40.75m. Junior Sarah Dillard was right behind her, placing sixth (40.75m). Dillard also placed sixth in the discus (36.31m). Freshman Demi McEntee placed ninth in the javelin, with a personal-best mark of 32.72m.

“I really was happy to see their performances,” Johnson said of the throwers. “It was a cold day, so … they might not have thrown as far as they wanted to, but everybody’s making really good progress and we’re looking forward to seeing it.

“Hopefully we get a really nice weekend around here at some point … I think they’re coming along and I’m really happy with the progress.”

Johnson praised the recent competitive mentality of her team, and said she hopes the trend continues as the season progresses.

“These guys are all really starting to round into shape,” Johnson said. “That’s what we’re looking to do, to really stay competitive. It is a little difficult without the conference championship … but we still have that mentality of trying to get better and work hard every day.”