Crew & Rowing, Sports, Tennis

Women’s tennis splits 2 road contests

This past weekend, the Boston University women’s tennis team ventured down to Texas to compete against Florida International University and the University of Texas. The Terriers (9-6) were victorious against FIU (2-15), while they fell the next day to No. 24 Texas (11-9).

In the opener against FIU, the Terriers as a team recorded a 4-0 sweep, taking two of their doubles matches and all three of their singles matches.

Senior Vivien Laszloffy and sophomore Sami Lieb took their doubles match 8-6 over junior Giulietta Boha and senior Magali Holt, while freshmen Kim McCallum and Lauren Davis took care of their doubles match 8-1, giving the Terriers their first point on the afternoon.

In the singles matches, Holt, Laszloffy, Lieb, Davis, McCallum and senior Jessi Linero all took care of their opponents in two straight sets, which earned the Terriers three points.

The second day was not as easy for BU, as it fell to a solid Texas squad by a score of 7-0.

The doubles players all fell 8-4 in their three respective matches. The biggest battle in the doubles matches came when senior Jessi Linero and junior Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis fought valiantly against sophomore Noel Scott and freshman Breaunna Addison, but they eventually fell 8-4.

The Terrier singles were also swept away by the Longhorns in their matches. Laszloffy battled against Addison, taking a 4-2 lead early in the match, but Addison eventually recovered to win in straight sets.

Although Linero and Lieb claimed six games for BU, the squad could not handle the collective strength of the Longhorns.

Men’s Tennis

While the women’s team was down in Texas, the men’s tennis squad was in upstate New York to take on Marist College on the back end of its five-match road trip. The Red Foxes (8-3) were victorious over the Terriers (6-5) 6-1 at Marist.

In the number two match, senior Michael Kopelman and freshman Stefan Lemire defeated their opponent 8-5, which set BU up for a potential point. However, senior Josh Friedman and sophomore Chanon Varapongsittikul fell in their match in a tight 8-6 contest, which gave the Red Foxes their point.

In the singles matchups, BU lost five of the six points available, only claiming one victory.

Friedman recorded the only win for the Terriers in the singles matches, recovering from his tough doubles defeat. Friedman went three sets with junior Dalen Klassen, and with Friedman coming out victorious in the third set 10-8, he gave BU its only point in the singles round.

Sophomore Emilio Teran lost in two tough sets to No. 5 Joseph Dube 7-5 6-4.

Women’s Rowing

In Buffalo, N.Y., both the varsity and lightweight rowing teams competed against University at Buffalo and Eastern Michigan University, and took 10 of its 12 total races.

While the Terriers struggled against Syracuse University in the races last week, the squads dominated against their two foes. In the first race of the day, the varsity eight squad — led by junior Sarah Specht and senior Caroline Kimberly — took care of Buffalo, finishing eight seconds ahead of the Bulls’ boat.

In the other first races of the day, the second varsity eight squad fell to Buffalo, but both the lightweight eight and novice eight finished their first races with wins over Buffalo.

The varsity four and lightweight four also came out with victories in their first races, while the second varsity four fell eight seconds short of the sweep.

The second race of the day saw the Terriers continue their previous success, taking away multiple victories. The varsity eight won its race against Eastern Michigan by 15 seconds.

The most impressive win for the Terriers was for the novice eight in its race against Eastern Michigan.

Coxed by freshman Jessica Peel, the Terriers came away with the win by over 40 seconds with an impressive time of 7:22.81.