Campus, Multimedia, Orientation 2013

Guide to BU

Boston University’s main campus is easy to navigate, stretching two miles along the Charles River. This map provides information about major colleges, residences and resources on campus and is designed to make life easier for new students. We’ve also included tips and tricks so you’ll know the best places to study or grab coffee between classes.

College of Arts and Sciences

CAS is BU’s largest college with over 24 departments. Because most students take at least a few classes within CAS while at BU, the college is almost always bustling with people. The Einstein Bros. Bagels in the basement is a hot spot for breakfast and lunch and accepts both dining points and convenience points.

School of Management

The large first floor lobby of the School of Management is a great place to relax between classes, and you can grab coffee or a snack at the Starbucks and Breadwinners on the second floor, both of which accept dining points and convenience points.

Mugar Memorial Library

BU’s central library consists of seven stories with more than 2.2 million digital and print items available to students. Students can almost always find computers and study space in Mugar, although finals period can be hectic. A Print Center, Scan and Copy Center and IT Help Center are all located on the first floor.

George Sherman Union/BU Central

Attached to Mugar, the GSU is considered by some to be the center of student life at BU. Student organizations line up in the GSU Link, which stretches between the dining area and the library, during weekdays to publicize events and opportunities. The Union Court is a perfect place to grab a meal and meet up with friends to study or socialize. A Starbucks, Pinkberry Yogurt Bar and City Convenience are also located on the first floor of the GSU. On the second floor, Metcalf Ballroom often hosts large gatherings and showcases. BU Central, located in the basement of the GSU, is a common venue for concerts and other student activities. The Center for Gender, Sexuality and Activism, the Terrier Card Office and the Student Government office can all be found in the basement of the GSU.

Agganis Arena

With seating available for 8,000 students and community members, Agganis Arena is BU’s largest  sporting venue. It hosts entertainment and athletic gatherings of all kinds. Students pack into the arena to see the men’s ice hockey team play from October through the beginning of March for the 2012-13 season. Agganis also serves as a site for major concerts and shows during the year.

Fitness and Recreation Center

FitRec serves as the main gym for students to use on campus. It offers students a way to get active in different ways, from credit and noncredit physical education classes to club and intramural sports, including the famed BU broomball intramural league. The center includes standard gym equipment, an elevated jogging track, a climbing wall, a dance theatre and racquetball and squash courts as well as an Aquatics Center complete with a competition pool, a recreation pool, a lazy river and a large whirlpool. Students can finish off their workouts with a snack or smoothie from Healthy Blends, a café accepting dining points and convenience points.

Center for Student Services at 100 Bay State Road

One of BU’s newest facilities, 100 Bay State Road contains places to eat as well as a variety of resources for students. While the Marciano Commons dining hall on the first floor has become a student favorite, Rize, a bakery café, and the Late Night Kitchen, where students can order food until 11 p.m., are both located in the basement and accept dining points and convenience points. The CAS Center for Writing, CAS Student Academic Life, Center for Career Development and Educational Resource Center are located on floors three through six of the building and provide various academic support services.

BU Beach

Located on a stretch of green behind Marsh Chapel, the BU Beach is one of the more popular spots on campus to enjoy the outdoors. Some say the sound of cars rushing by on Storrow Drive, located between the Charles River and BU’s campus, resemble waves one might hear at an actual beach.

The Esplanade

The Esplanade stretches three miles along the banks of the Charles River from the BU Bridge to downtown Boston. Walk, run, bike or relax along the Esplanade while enjoying one of the most beautiful views of the river and the skyline that Boston has to offer. The Esplanade is accessible by two footbridges along Bay State Road—one off of Silber Way and one by the BU Beach

Tsai Performance Center

Located within CAS, Tsai seats about 515 people and is a common site for the performing arts and the occasional large lecture class.

Morse Auditorium

Recognizable by its domed ceiling, Morse Auditorium is commonly used for large lectures and some university events.

Marsh Chapel

The Dean of Marsh Chapel oversees 21 religious groups across campus, making Marsh a center for faith and service on campus. Marsh Chapel holds an Interdenominational Protestant worship service on Sunday mornings.

Hillel House

Hillel caters to Jewish student life on campus with various classes, services and gatherings. Hillel also houses a Kosher dining room where students may use meal swipes.

BU Bookstore

Barnes and Noble at BU provides students with a reliable place to buy and rent new and used textbooks. The BU Bookstore also sells a variety of school merchandise as well as school supplies, gifts and accessories. Shoppers may also use convenience points at the Barnes and Noble Café.

IT Help Center

Students having trouble with their Mac or PC computers can visit the IT Help Center. The center also offers select Microsoft and Adobe software as well as educational discounts on recommended computer systems.

Student Health Services

All full-time students can contact Student Health Services to make an appointment. SHS’s departments include Primary Care, Sports Medicine and Behavioral Medicine. SHS also offers Crisis Intervention Counselors as well as resources related to Drug and Alcohol Education. BU’s Athletic Training Services department as well as the Sexual Assault Response and Prevention Center are additional resources of SHS.

Photonics Center

While the Photonics Center generally functions as a part of BU’s engineering and science departments, the building sometimes serves as a meeting place for student groups in the evening.

Student housing:

West Campus

With three large dormitory-style residences — Rich Hall, Claflin Hall and Sleeper Hall — West Campus is home to many undergraduate students and student athletes. West Campus houses a dining hall as well as Nickerson Field, a common site for university functions and Terrier sporting events. Students looking for a late night snack can spend dining points and convenience points at Extreme Pita.

Warren Towers

Warren Towers is a large dormitory-style residence situated in the center of campus.Warren houses mostly freshman students. It also contains a dining hall with a Late Night Café. At the base of Warren Towers, various on-campus vendors accept convenience points, including a Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Subway and City Convenience. BU’s FedEx Office is also located around the corner from Warren at 115 Cummington St.

Student Village: StuVi I & StuVi II (Buick Street Market)

Student Village I, rising 17 floors at 10 Buick St. and Student Village II, rising 26 floors at 33 Harry Agganis Way, are BU’s high-rise apartment-style living option for upperclassmen. StuVi II’s 26 windows reveal a gorgeous view of the Charles River and downtown Boston. StuVi I sits next to Buick Street Market and Café and Dunkin’ Donuts, where students can spend dining points and convenience points.

South Campus

Separated slightly from the rest of BU’s campus, South Campus provides students with a variety of apartment-style residence and brownstone residence options.

On-campus, non-BU good eats

Sunset Cantina

Sunset Cantina is a southwestern favorite of BU students, with a full menu until 1 a.m. and arguably the best nachos in Boston.

Espresso Royale

When Starbucks won’t cut it, Espresso Royale offers students their daily dose of caffeine in a more alternative setting. It also serves as a great place to meet up with study groups or friends to work on assignments and projects.