Campus, News, Orientation 2013

Looking back, looking forward: For the class of 2017

Between several on-campus incidents and developments ranging from muggings to gender-neutral housing to several student deaths, Boston University students saw a 2012-13 year filled with ups and downs.

However, these disturbances have largely inspired positive changes and actions amongst students, BU officials and BU alumni from around the country and the world.

In the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings in April and subsequent police chases throughout the city and the surrounding area, BU Police Department officials greatly increased communication between officers and the student body, something which some students voiced concerns about following a string of muggings and one stabbing on campus last year.

Students and alumni joined forces to support The One Fund  created by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino  and Mass Gov. Deval Patrick  to help those affected by the bombings. A 5k race near campus sought to raise funds and a “Free Hug Friday,” ultimately canceled due to a citywide lockdown, was created to raise community morale.

Lingzi Lu, a first-year Graduate School of Arts and Sciences student, was killed by the April 15 blasts. Zhou Danling, also a first-year GRS student, was critically injured.

The implementation of gender-neutral housing, a concept pushed forward by Student Government during the 2011-2012 academic year, was suddenly halted by the administration on Dec. 9. Since, SG officials have devoted much time to the issue and many students from BU and other local colleges have protested the decision.

However, after a semester of deliberation and continued student support which came in the form of petitions and on-campus discussion forums, Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore submitted a proposal to the University Council, which, if approved, will be implemented before the fall 2013 semester.

Elmore, in an interview with The Daily Free Press in May, said students may soon have the option to participate in gender-neutral “roommate selection,” which will eventually lead to a number of rooms being set aside strictly for students hoping to take advantage of gender-neutral housing.

In addition to social movements at BU, the administration has taken strides toward cementing its online education options, something students will be able to see evidence of soon.

After joining forces with online course platform edX this summer, BU must offer at least five massive online open courses, also called MOOCs, which must be available within a year. Currently, BU students use online learning platform Blackboard Learn, something which edX is meant to supplement.

This effort was coordinated by BU officials on behalf of the Council on Educational Technology and Learning Innovation, created by BU President Robert Brown last October. CETLI officials plan to further investigate innovative education efforts during the coming year.

As always, BU students and officials will be kept busy with thousands of gatherings and many changes expected to occur over the course of the 2013-14 academic year.

New and returning students should expect to see a campus as lively and tight-knit as always, despite any negative events that may have transpired last year, and we at The Daily Free Press look forward to reporting it all.