Golf, Softball, Sports

Roundup: Softball team names Jen McIntyre new associate head coach

Last year, the Boston University softball team appointed  coach Kathryn Gleason to take the helm of the team. This year, Gleason will have a new associate head coach as the squad moves into the Patriot League, as Jen McIntyre was named to Gleason’s staff this past Thursday.

McIntyre played softball at Penn State and was selected as an Academic All-American during her tenure. She compiled an impressive .304 batting average and swiped 42 bases, good for sixth highest on the Penn State list. During her junior campaign she was named the team’s MVP and was a captain during her senior season.

After her days of playing softball for the Nittany Lions, McIntyre decided to coach with the team she played for, coaching at University Park, Pa., for the past 12 years. In her last three years at Penn State, McIntyre held the same position she will be taking over for the Terriers.

In 2011 her team reached the regional final of the NCAA Tournament. She helped coach the Nittany Lions into the NCAA Tournament on five other occassions. With her teams on the field, McIntyre focused on solidifying the outfield defense, as well as working with the hitters.

At Penn State McIntyre also bolstered the team’s recruiting and helped land 21 players that were named to the All-Big Ten team at least once. This past season, graduating senior Cassidy Bell, whom McIntrye recruited, became the first ever Penn State softball player to ever be named a First Team All-American.

Golf Places Seventh at Bucknell Invitational 

This past weekend the Boston University golf team competed at its first tournament of the season at the Bucknell Invitational. The Terriers, playing in the first tournament since becoming a member of the Patriot League, looked to reclaim their title as champions. Despite shooting 955 as team, BU finished in seventh place. The College of William and Mary finished in first place at Bucknell Golf Club, shooting a combined 912 in its winning effort.

Leading the Terriers at Bucknell was Kristyna Pavlickova, who shot a three-round total of 231. In her final round of play, she shot a 74, including three birdies. Her efforts as the number one seed individually for the Terriers were good enough to place eighth overall.

Sophomore Emily Tillo finished six shots behind Pavlickova with a 237. In her first two rounds of play she shot a 76 both times, but dropped off in the final round of the tournament, shooting an 85 to close it out.

In her first collegiate tournament, Adela Cejnarova finished with a 250 three-round total. She got better in each round, starting with an 85 and finishing her weekend with an 81.