Sports, Track and Field

Freshmen, veterans alike succeed in track and field season opener

In the Boston University track and field season opener Saturday, many Terriers showed that they are ready for the college level of competition.

Freshmen Justin Flynn and Cameron Williams opened their collegiate careers with stellar showings in the 60m dash. Flynn finished second with a time of 6.99 seconds, and Williams finished in third place with a time of 7.03 seconds.

Senior Brian Leonard finished the 200m dash with a time of 23.60 seconds.

In the field events, senior Connor Sullivan placed second in the high jump with a leap of 2.00m. Sophomore Fritz Howser and freshman Brian Shaefer finished fifth (4.25m) and sixth (4.10m), respectively, in the pole vault. Senior Samuel Arsenault placed fifth in the long jump with a jump of 6.56m.

Freshman David Oluwadara placed second in the triple jump with a leap of 14.19m, while senior Blake Edwards finished third with a jump of 14.04m. Freshman Tyler Malone had an eighth-place finish with a jump of 12.63m in his college debut.

In the throws, junior Ethan Knight finished second with a heave of 15.20m. Senior Nat Hinckley finished ninth (12.19m) and sophomore Young Guang placed 12th (11.37m). Freshman James Barnett placed 13th (11.32m) in his first meet at the college level.

On the women’s side, the two BU 4x400m relay teams finished 1-2. Freshmen Toria Levy, Kerri Graber, Ally Saccone and Djenne Parris teamed up to win the race with a time of 3:48.70, beating the veteran team of sophomore Christy Wood, senior Carolyn Maynard, junior Victoria Perez and senior Hannah Wiley, which finished second (3:49.35).

Earlier in the day, Wood finished second in the 200m dash with a time of 24.45 seconds. She was named Patriot League Female Track Athlete of the Week as a result of her strong performance.

Maynard finished right behind Wood in third place with a time of 24.79 seconds. Parris finished in sixth place (25.18 seconds) and Wiley placed seventh with a time of 25.22 seconds. Levy had a time of 25.89 seconds in the preliminary round, and sophomore Jade Paul won her heat with a time of 26.10 seconds.

In the 60m dash, senior Janet Mellor placed fourth with a time of 7.84 seconds. Senior Catherine Milledge placed eighth with a time of 8.05 seconds.

Freshman Adrienne Pascucci placed fifth in the high jump with a leap of 1.50m in her first collegiate meet. Sophomore Alex Fox finished 12th in the high jump with a leap of 1.40m.

Pascucci also had a time of 9.84 seconds in the hurdles. Sophomore Catherine Sampson finished with a time of 9.92 in the hurdles and had a heave of 10.34m in the shot put.

Senior Sarah Dillard finished second in the weight throw, with a mark of 15.53m. Junior Tessa Runels finished third in the triple jump with a mark of 11.13m.

Freshman Erica Treske finished eighth in the long jump with a mark of 4.78m. Treske also placed eighth in the shot put with a mark of 9.95m.

BU will next compete on Jan. 16 at the Multi-Team Meet.