Club Sports, Sports

Club Sports Roundup: Club ice hockey falls to Minutemen

The Boston University men's club soccer team defeated Dartmouth College, PHOTO COURTESY OF  BOSTON UNIVERSITY MEN’S CLUB SOCCER
The Boston University men’s club soccer team defeated Dartmouth College, 5-1, on Saturday. PHOTO COURTESY OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY MEN’S CLUB SOCCER

The information in the following Boston University club sport highlights was taken from the BU Club Sports Event Calendar from Sept. 22 to Sept. 29.

Saturday, Sept. 27

BU men’s club water polo dominates at New England Division Tournament

The Boston University men’s club water polo team put together a great showing at the New England Division Tournament at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont Saturday. The Terriers opened their season with an 11-6 victory over Middlebury before later besting Yale University in a 17-12 win. BU wrapped up its day with a 9-4 victory over Wesleyan University. The following day, the Terriers finished the tournament with a 4-0 record thanks to a 12-2 triumph over the University of Connecticut.

BU men’s club soccer defeats Dartmouth, 5-1

The Boston University men’s club soccer traveled up to Hanover, New Hampshire Saturday morning to take on Dartmouth College, ultimately defeating the Big Green, 5-1. Forward H-Soba Vincent led the way for the Terriers with one goal and four assists. The Terriers also received goals from Tom Bray, Phinneas Bauer and Santiago Martinez.

BU club ice hockey falls to University of Massachusetts-Amherst, 6-2

The Boston University club ice hockey team took the loss in its regular-season opener against the University of Massachusetts-Amherst Saturday night. BU received solid efforts from junior forwards Lucas Esposito and Taylor Parkinson, who both registered a goal and assist on the night. Ultimately, the Terriers were doomed thanks to a four-goal second period from the Minutemen, who built a comfortable 5-1 cushion going into the final frame of the game.

BU men’s club rugby bests UNH, 31-21

The Boston University men’s club rugby earned a grueling 31-21 victory over the University of New Hampshire Saturday morning. After the Terriers opened the game with a try 15 minutes into the match, the Wildcats responded with a try and kick to take the lead. BU was able to answer, with the Terriers maintaining a 12-7 lead going into the second half of the match. Both teams traded scores until, with 10 minutes remaining in the game, UNH jumped out to a 21-19 lead. Ultimately, the Terriers broke through with two scores, including a try from senior wing Carlos Salazar — his third of the game — to seal the victory for BU.

BU club cricket drops 112-109 contest to MIT

The Boston University club cricket team suffered a tough 112-109 loss at the hands of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Saturday morning in Woburn. The BU batters struggled, posting a score of 109 with four balls to spare. While freshman Anmol Gandhi had a strong performance bowling for the Terriers, MIT ultimately took the decision, winning on neutral ground.

BU club cricket loses to Harvard, 146-145

The Boston University club cricket team suffered its second loss Saturday against Harvard University in Woburn. The BU batters, led by Himanshu Makharia, finished with a score of 145/7 in 20 overs. Unfortunately, the Terriers could not hold onto the lead, as Harvard scored 146 runs in 19 overs to come away with the win.

Sunday, Sept. 28

BU club golf earns second-place finish at Beanpot Golf Championship

The Boston University club golf team played in the inaugural Beanpot Golf Championship Sunday at the Robert T. Lynch Municipal Golf Course at Putterham Meadows in Brookline. The tournament was played between BU, Boston College, Northeastern University and Harvard University, with the Terriers finishing in second behind the Eagles. Leading the way for BU were Whitney Reimann’s score of 79 and Will Livingston’s score of 80.

I spend my days serving as Sports Editor of The Daily Free Press, covering BU Hockey and finding more ways to worship Tom Brady. Previous experience includes covering the Red Sox and Bruins for WEEI.com and writing for South Boston Today. Follow me on Twitter: @ConorRyan_93